Author Topic: Future .NET Standard support (.Net Core)?  (Read 2841 times)

TheColonel26

• View Profile
Future .NET Standard support (.Net Core)?
« on: March 15, 2017, 08:19:42 AM »
Archie,

Do you plan to or are you open to moving AHMI to targeting .Net Standard? This would allow us to run AHMI on .Net Core on Linux x86 and ARM (When v2.0 is released). The only caveat being that the AHMI UI components could not be included since .Net Core does not currently have it's own UI yet, but we could use all the drivers and subscription components. To me the drivers and subscription stuff is the only reason I use AHMI I prefer to design my own UI components.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Future .NET Standard support (.Net Core)?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 08:47:16 AM »
The stand-alone drivers are being ported to .NET core, so in the future you will be able to purchase a driver license to run on all the various platforms.

TheColonel26

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 09:14:01 AM »
No plan to do this for the Open Source version to support Hobbyists?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:37:08 PM by Archie »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 09:20:34 AM »
Probably not because as you mention .NET Core has no UI which is a major portion of the AdvancedHMI software and the "face" of it. Without the "face" there is no marketing which in turn allows the software to be free.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 12:36:24 PM »
Not meaning to sound negative about the subject of the hobbyist users, but one of the primary objectives of AdvancedHMI is to support the system integration side of the business. Therefore software that doesn't do this nor generate income directly ends up very low on the priority list. Unless a project comes along that needs it or project work becomes extremely slow, those projects rarely move up the list.

I'm guessing the majority of AdvancedHMI users are unaware of what really drives the software's development and how it is possible to make it free. It is the system integration work (custom applications, machine building, control panel design and build, PLC programming, etc.) that generates the majority of income and makes use of AdvancedHMI to keep it's developed moving forward. So when you see me mention that something has not been developed yet because there has not been a need, I am generally referring to the fact that my company has not acquired a project yet that has needed it.

bachphi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 01:07:02 PM »
Archie,
          Your support to us have been, not just great, but super outstanding. You are one of the best mind readers that ever walk this earth... I read some of the posts here that even the best Google Translator will have a hard time to challenge you.

Having said that, I am one of the guilty ones who have been lacking of supporting you. Everyone, PLEASE support Archie and his software, considering most of us are working for companies.

Lastly, on your main web site, I'd like to have an option to buy all the utilities expansion packs with one click, that will make it easy for  the purchasing person. Thanks.
===================================================
This is NOT alt.read.my.mind.
No such thing is sh^t-for-brains unless you are posting to alt.read.my.mind.

OptionD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 05:10:18 PM »
Hi,

I realize this is several years old now, but I was wondering if the stand-alone driver was ever ported to .NET core? I'm looking for exactly this: a .NET core Rockwell driver.

Noe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 05:39:10 PM »
Hi,

I realize this is several years old now, but I was wondering if the stand-alone driver was ever ported to .NET core? I'm looking for exactly this: a .NET core Rockwell driver.

You mean this one?

https://www.advancedhmi.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=14

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 12:01:05 AM »
.NET Core support is not here yet, but will come in the future. The hold out has been waiting for .NET Core to become stabile and more friendly with Visual Studio.

TheColonel26

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 10:27:14 AM »
Hi Archie, I assume you mean to update to .Net Core 3, but keep using WinForms correct? So it will still be windows only.

(Yes Mono has a WinForms implementation but it is not maintained anymore, so it's really not safe for production use.)

I assume there is no chance of you porting it to .Net Standard, and use a Cross-platform UI Framework like Avalonia?
https://github.com/AvaloniaUI/Avalonia. That way it could run on Mac and Linux too. Linux is an important one.

Microsoft seems to have no plans to ever develop UI framework tools for Linux.

P.S. We are now on .Net Core 3 what were you waiting for lol? .Net Core 2 Basically Brought almost all the APIs from the old framework over.

Another option might be Running Blazer in a wrapper. https://dotnet.microsoft.com/apps/aspnet/web-apps/blazor

There is a project for hosting it locally that is maintained by a Microsoft employee. https://github.com/SteveSandersonMS/WebWindow

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 09:28:16 AM »
The main issue with moving to .NET core or another UI framework is the sacrificing of ease of use. None of the platforms have ever come close to the ease of drag-and-drop tools that were developed for WinForms. Since AdvancedHMI was built with the inexperienced user in mind, if it suddenly required the skill of an experienced developer, that would alienate possibly over 80% of the user base.

.NET Core now supports a VS designer for WinForms, but the last I checked it still was not part of the VS default install, therefore requiring a bit more work to get started with it.

Not saying it will never happen, but hoping that eventually .NET Core will eventually become a very easy development platform to get started with.

TheColonel26

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 03:06:18 PM »
That still wouldn't help anyone that wants to run on Linux though.

bachphi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 03:16:04 PM »
new in .NET Core 3.0. One of the biggest enhancements is support for Windows desktop applications (Windows only).
By using the .NET Core 3.0 SDK component Windows Desktop, you can port your Windows Forms and Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) applications.

bachphi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 07:58:54 AM »
.NET 5 will merge Core and .NET Framework into one single solution.

https://sdtimes.com/msft/net-5-merges-core-and-net-framework-into-one-solution/

TheColonel26

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 10:35:28 PM »
.NET 5 will merge Core and .NET Framework into one single solution.

https://sdtimes.com/msft/net-5-merges-core-and-net-framework-into-one-solution/
They aren't merging Legacy .Net Framework and Core. They are simply renaming .Net Core to .Net. Further Mono is now going to use the CoreFX libraries on its own CLR. So the Mono Framework Libraries are being dropped. Sure they are spinning it as "Merging" everything, but really they are just dropping dead weight. Calling it merging is just to keep the Luddites from stroking out.

Legacy .Net Framework is dead. They ported WinForms and WPF over so that legacy applications can be maintained.

It looks like the future of UI on .Net is MAUI. Though Linux support is very suspiciously absent. https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/introducing-net-multi-platform-app-ui

Again there is also Avalonia (https://github.com/AvaloniaUI/Avalonia) or Modern Forms (https://github.com/modern-forms/Modern.Forms)