Author Topic: Project built, now what?  (Read 1489 times)

bob1371

• View Profile
Project built, now what?
« on: August 08, 2017, 04:00:48 AM »

First off thanks for a great resource. I had looked at AHMI a few times in the past and just a few days ago finally downloaded.

My first project consist of pretty much making a replica of one of our AB Panelview screens. This is a packing area with overhead crane and we have people 40+ feet away looking at a 10" screen and yelling to the person with hand scanner. I will put this on a Raspberry Pi and use the HDMI to a 55" screen.

It took a while to get the string variables worked out but looks good and much more responsive than the AB.

I've looked at a couple dozen tutorials but looking for something specific to loading onto the Pi. Can anyone point me to anything.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 04:32:27 AM by bob1371 »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Project built, now what?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 07:10:42 AM »
I have only used Linux for some simple experiments and demos, so I will have limited advice to offer. The most I have done is described in this thread:

http://advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=666.0

If you are looking for the program to startup automatically, maybe someone else will chime in with an answer. I have always taken the route of spending a little bit more to get a $100 Windows micro PC to avoid the workarounds and limitations of Linux/Mono and also stay in an OS I know very well.

Noe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 03:40:45 PM »
Or maybe you can use a Windows tablet and use it to run you app on wifi, so the operator can control directly without having to look a far away screen.

bob1371

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 04:19:25 AM »
Thanks guys, I do believe I will go with a mini PC.

Again, great program and I will be doing a lot more with it.

Thanks.

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 11:54:58 PM »
If you happen to have a Pi already, you can give it a go.  Systemd is what manages services on the Raspberry Pi these days.  The idea is that you create a systemd services file which has some parameters about what to start and how to start it.

Check out method 4 here:
https://www.dexterindustries.com/howto/run-a-program-on-your-raspberry-pi-at-startup/

the example shows a python file, but where ExecStart line is, you'd replace it with the path to mono and your AHMI project exe.  To find the mono path, just type the following in the terminal:  which mono