Author Topic: Raspberry PI 3 or Mini PC?  (Read 648 times)

thiesco

• View Profile
Raspberry PI 3 or Mini PC?
« on: February 19, 2018, 09:48:32 AM »
Hello,

I'm planning to use AHMI running in a Raspberry PI 3, connected to a 10" touch screen panel.
My HMI project will have around 1000 tags and 50 screens.

My question is: Will it run smoothly using the Raspaberry PI 3 or should I use a mini pc like this one (http://bit.ly/2EE0jcS)?

I'm sorry if there is a post with this doubt already, I searched for it but I couldn't find. I could only find one post from 2015 saying that it could only run very basic projects, as it didn't support .net applications so far, but I belive it has already changed.

If I can run this projects using Raspberry PI 3, what OS should I use?

Thank you all for the help  :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:50:34 AM by thiesco »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Raspberry PI 3 or Mini PC?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 10:38:52 AM »
You may get various opinions on this, but my view point is that a Windows PC is better because it does not have limitations that Linux will have. For example, the charts do not work on Linux. I also see Windows as easier to get support than it is with Linux. If I deploy an application on Windows and something happens, sometimes even the machine operators can get it back working, but if it were Linux, I would most likely be taking a trip to the facility.

So it comes down to.....  What extend is your knowledge of Linux? Are you able to live with the limitations of Linux/Mono? Are you going to be the one who supports it long term?