Author Topic: HMI Software Comparison  (Read 4227 times)

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
HMI Software Comparison
« on: June 12, 2016, 08:46:45 PM »
A topic came up on another forum about comparing different HMI software packages. An idea evolved that I thought was a really good idea. The concept is to layout a set of tasks and create a video showing how to implement these tasks with a particular software. If a video was made for a wide range of available packages, it could give a good side by side comparison. I believe this could be a very valuable resource to anyone looking to evaluate the different packages. I am going to pursue this and see if a library of videos can be compiled.

To start this off I am going to refer to each set of tasks as a challenge. Stemming from the conversation on the other forum, these will be the tasks for challenge #1:

#1 Add a text label value that will change color based on a threshold value (e.g turns red when greater than 800)
#2 Add 2 text labels that will become visible based on low and high thresholds to indicate upper and lower alarms
#3 Trend chart of 1 value
#4 Send a text message on a value going over a threshold
#5 Log a data point to a database every second.

I will be producing the challenge #1 video for AdvancedHMI and post the link to it here when complete.

If anyone is familiar with other packages (e.g. Wonderware, FactoryTalk, Ignition, etc.) or knows someone that is and willing to create video, I welcome links to any videos taking on this challenge.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 08:50:04 PM by Archie »

Mvlawn

• View Profile
Re: HMI Software Comparison
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 01:48:04 PM »
I look forward to your videos!

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 11:18:47 AM »
Here is the link for the AdvancedHMI software implementing these tasks:

https://youtu.be/bk9oSONpDC4
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 09:44:11 PM by Archie »

MrPike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 10:37:16 PM »
Hi Archie, could you please share a link to the other forum, I would like to see videos that may not be posted here, thanks. 

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 10:47:30 PM »
So far only one other video was submitted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTOo5ODLhN8

This subject was dropped from the other forum because some took it as an advertising stunt. Someone was supposed to do a video for WinCC, but once some people got ugly about it, I think that will not happen.

MrPike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 11:50:09 PM »
Too bad, I have a developer license for Wonderware and would like to try this which all seems pretty simple, However the database portion may be over my head.  I could also attempt this with GE Quick Panel.   I may give this a go if find extra time

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 04:21:31 AM »
I would be interested in seeing how this is done in Wonderware. The other one I would like to see is Ignition because I hear so much about it but have never actually seen it.

vk7dg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 05:30:24 AM »
Hi Archie
Even GE Proficy Ifix 5.8 can do everything except send the Text message on it's own; we have an addon called Win911 which we use for text messages that tightly integrates with Ifix. I would not recommend iFix to anyone reading this; after 12 months developing an unlimited tag system with 13500 tags in use I can say it is buggy, costly, incorrect documentation, and there are better systems around which do the job with less heartache. We replaced a South African "Adroit" system with iFix and I much prefer Adroit it was so easy to configure and use and did everything described in your list with ease at a much lower cost BUT documentation is all in compiled help, iFix is all PDF documents and compiled help.

We are not far off taking delivery of Ignition for doing OEE reporting as you mentioned but will be a month or two before I start developing that. Expensive to do OEE, total cost around $65K USD.

Cheers

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 07:55:34 AM »
I'm thinking to split up this initial list and remove the text message and the DB writing. That would keep from crossing the line which could be considered going from an HMI to a SCADA. It would also make the video much shorter and easier to create, therefore maybe more inducive to getting more submissions.

If just implementing the first 3 items, would anyone be willing to make a video showing how to do this with a software package you are familiar with?