Author Topic: AdvancedHMI on a Tablet  (Read 9941 times)

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
AdvancedHMI on a Tablet
« on: May 23, 2013, 07:49:25 PM »
If you always wanted to roam around with your HMI in hand, it is now possible. AdvancedHMI has been successfully tested on the Microsoft Surface Pro. For anyone not familiar with the Surface, it is Microsoft's entry into the tablet market. There are 2 version, one runs WinRT and the other runs Windows 8 Pro. The pro version is essentially a full laptop in tablet form that runs Windows 8. The WinRT version is a scaled down version that is a bit more limited. AdvancedHMI will only run on the Surface Pro. I was even able to load and run Visual Studio on the Surface Pro.

You only need a wireless Ethernet connection to the same network on which your PLC resides and your AdvancedHMI application runs seamlessly on the tablet just as if it were on a full PC.

justin.holmes

• View Profile
Re: AdvancedHMI on a Tablet
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 09:15:21 AM »
Thank you so much for trying this. I was just about to buy an old windows 7 tablet because I thought windows 8 would bring issues. I will see what I can find affordably with windows 8 now :)

Justin

DougLyons

• View Profile
AdvancedHMI on a Tablet
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 07:32:42 PM »
Everyone,

I have also tested it on my Dell Latitude ST (Slate Tablet) running Windows 7 32-bit and it performs well. This device is no longer sold by Dell and I would not recommend it because it is normally slow to execute most applications, but the Advanced HMI runs fine on it.

It is really quite fun to be able to walk around and control the PLC from almost anywhere using the Wireless Network.
Others in my office are now jealous and may be purchasing their own tablets soon.

Thanks for a great product that is so much fun, Archie.

hileta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 10:51:16 AM »
I see this is an old thread but this is what introduced me to AdvancedHMI. I am currently tasked with developing a cost effective mobile HMI for an end user. I am using an HP Stream 8 ($85 on Amazon) that comes with Windows 8.1 but upgradable to Windows 10. I have got started the development and testing and am really pleased with the results so far.

gvinson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 06:28:33 PM »
I am very new to the VB coding scene, and I am making progress but have some simple questions for you guys:

I would like to try and run my application on a Windows 10 tablet.  In order to run the Visual Basic 2015 code (from Visual Studio 2105) on the tablet, what needs to be downloaded to the  tablet from Microsoft?  I did not find a redistributable .net frame versions for Visual Basic 2105.   Do I have to download the whole Visual Studio?  I was hoping for just the necessary runtime files to be loaded on the tablet.

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 07:35:38 PM »
I am very new to the VB coding scene, and I am making progress but have some simple questions for you guys:

I would like to try and run my application on a Windows 10 tablet.  In order to run the Visual Basic 2015 code (from Visual Studio 2105) on the tablet, what needs to be downloaded to the  tablet from Microsoft?  I did not find a redistributable .net frame versions for Visual Basic 2105.   Do I have to download the whole Visual Studio?  I was hoping for just the necessary runtime files to be loaded on the tablet.

You only need Visual Studio installed on the tablet if you plan on editing your application on the tablet.  If you plan on just running it, just copy your entire project to the tablet and run the AdvancedHMI.exe in /AdvancedHMI/bin/Debug/.  You can put a shortcut to that exe somewhere more convenient if it helps.

I believe that it is currently targeted for .NET framwork 4.0 so my guess is that W10 will have support for that out of the box, though that's just a guess, I've never used W10.

Homie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 12:03:23 PM »
Tested on an Asus Transformer Book (about 250€) running Win10.
Application has been compiled using VS2013.

Running fine out of the box.

bachphi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 05:41:06 PM »
I see this is an old thread but this is what introduced me to AdvancedHMI. I am currently tasked with developing a cost effective mobile HMI for an end user. I am using an HP Stream 8 ($85 on Amazon) that comes with Windows 8.1 but upgradable to Windows 10. I have got started the development and testing and am really pleased with the results so far.

Is it $85 or $189
===================================================
This is NOT alt.read.my.mind.
No such thing is sh^t-for-brains unless you are posting to alt.read.my.mind.
===================================================

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 08:11:05 AM »

Is it $85 or $189
Could've been a certified refurbished for $85.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Stream-Windows-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01920H010/ref=sr_1_30?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1460722115&sr=1-30&keywords=windows+tablet&refinements=p_36%3A4000-10000%2Cp_n_operating_system_browse-bin%3A3077595011

In other brands it is easy to find a Windows tablet for under $100