Author Topic: OPC Example  (Read 1904 times)

bob_wolf

• View Profile
OPC Example
« on: April 24, 2017, 05:57:55 PM »
I want to connect to an OPC Server to read data.  Does anyone have any examples of configuration, monitoring tags?

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: OPC Example
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 06:05:15 PM »
OPC has 2 difficult hurdles. The first is getting the name of the server exactly correct and putting in the OPCServer property of OpcDaCom. For example, if using RSLinx, you will put "RSLinx OPC Server" in that property.

The next thing is to figure out how to specify the PLC Address. OPC is supposed to be a standard, but every server has it's own convention.

bob_wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 06:16:01 PM »
I think I have a handle on the name conventions.  I just want to be sure I am using the correct parameter format.  I wasn't sure if I needed to supply an IP address in addition to the OPC Server name.  I'm looking for some connection examples.  I think the OPC server is made by Advosol.  The data link software I received with the device I'm interfacing with uses an Advosol OPCDA 2.0 Client.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 06:21:09 PM »
Do you have an OPC browser software? I find that is the easiest way to get the correct names for the server and the addresses. Also does the server uses Topics?

Since every OPC server is unique, an example of another server probably would be much help. For example, I can tell you RSLinx server name and it requires the use of topics that are created in RSLinx. Then the addressing is just like RSLogix software, such as N7:0, which would go into the controls PLCAddress??? properties.

bob_wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 06:34:11 PM »
I have used the AdvancedHMI libraries successfully to read/write data to AB PLCs.  In this case, I want to connect to an OPCDA 2.0 OPC server and read tag values.  I have experience using KepwareEX and RSLinx.  This particular application may be using an Advosol OPC Server to write tag data from Kepware to a Vorne XL (OEE) appliance.  I can't interface the appliance directly, but I can using the Advosol OPCDA 2.0 Client.  I would like to use the OPCDaCom driver to read from the OPC server connected to the appliance similar to the Advosol OPCDA 2.0 Client.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 07:05:51 PM »
You should be able to use the same settings you are using in the Advosol OPCDA 2.0 Client