Author Topic: EthernetIPforCLXCom1 Driver (Solved)  (Read 2115 times)

Gene T.

• View Profile
EthernetIPforCLXCom1 Driver (Solved)
« on: October 23, 2017, 10:23:13 AM »
First I would like to say I am new to this product. I have been "exploring" the different options that this product provides.
I am very impressed so far. A big thanks to all involved in development and support of the product. I have been able to figure
out most things either by trial and error or by searching this forum. However, I have an issue that I have not been able to figure out.
My project consist of a main menu with 8 forms representing 8 different PLC's. I have two test PLC's (Allen Bradley Compactlogix)
connected at this time. I have connections and gathering data from both PLC's but  the problem is anytime I have a loss of communication
to the PLC using any of the EthernetIPforCLXCom2 -  EthernetIPforCLXCom8 connections, communication also stops on the EthernetIPforCLXCom1 connection.
If communication stops on the EthernetIPforCLXCom1 the other connections continue to work with no issues. If this have been covered and I just overlooked the
thread my apologies in advance.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 11:36:32 AM by Gene T. »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: EthernetIPforCLXCom1 Driver
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 05:02:43 PM »
Are you accessing the driver via code using Read or Write?

Gene T.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 06:32:40 PM »
Hi Archie,
I do have code that accesses the driver but this problem occurs without the code executing.
I have the drivers on the same form, with Com 1 working along with com 8 working. Both are
receiving good data and writing data. If I unplug the ethernet cable from plc 1 data from plc8 will
continue without interuption. I can plug it back in and communication will resume and receive good data.
If I unplug plc 8 communication will stop to both PLC's. This is true if I use the 2nd plc as com 2 - com 8.

Gene T.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 09:15:22 AM »
OK I have simplified things for testing. I started with a fresh download.
Placed two analog fields on the mainform. I then added EthernetIPforCLXCom1
and EthernetIPforCLXCom2. After assigning IP addresses I ran application.
If I unplug the ethernet cable to the second plc I get communication errors on both plc's.
If I unplug the ethernet cable to the first plc communication continues to second plc.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 09:43:24 AM »
I'm kind of scratching my head on this one because each driver runs on its own independent thread and the DLL layer will also be independent if the IP addresses are different for each driver. The only thing common is the UI thread which is where they merge onto. However the visual controls run on subscriptions which run on a background thread so it would not block anything other than itself.

This week I do not have access to more than 1 PLC in order to try to replicate this. It will be the weekend before I will be able to. Maybe someone else has multiple PLCs available to see if they get the same results.

Are you using version 3.99x ?

Gene T.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 10:16:19 AM »
Yes I am using 3.99x.
Maybe I am doing something wrong with the setup of the drivers...?

Gene T.

• View Profile
Re: EthernetIPforCLXCom1 Driver (solved)
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 11:35:44 AM »
Archie,

I figured out what was going on. It was my ignorance.
I decided that it must be something on my side because surely this would have been an
issue before now. I actually had 2 ethernet cables crossed. Each plc has two eternet ports.
I have a panelview connected to one port(I thought) and network to other. Actually cables
had been switched and the second plc was actually daisy chained from PLC 1 instead of going
back to switch. My apologies for my mistake.