Author Topic: MonoDevelop Getting Cannot Separate Components 399x  (Read 1264 times)

habadeer

• View Profile
MonoDevelop Getting Cannot Separate Components 399x
« on: October 16, 2017, 08:16:56 PM »
I have been building the assemblies in Windows VS and then bringing them over into Linux, adding my project to the AdvancedHMI solution in MonoDevelop and explicitly referencing the pre-built assemblies, but now with 399x I am getting an exception that states you cannot separate the components.  Since I cannot get the components to natively compile under Mono I am not sure I am ever going to be able to satisfy this new requirement even though I wasn't separating the components.  If anyone knows a way of doing this under MonoDevelop please let me know.

Unless I can figure out how to get around this exception, I may have hit a brick wall with this new version. :(

Any help is appreciated.

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MonoDevelop Getting Cannot Separate Components 399x
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 03:26:49 PM »
So I grabbed 3.99x, made a very simple program, ran it with Mono and it ran no problem.  Maybe there was something with how you imported your application or how you are starting the application?

I copied the entire project directory over to my linux machine, then ran the .exe in AdvancedHMI's bin directory.

Phrog30

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »
So I grabbed 3.99x, made a very simple program, ran it with Mono and it ran no problem.  Maybe there was something with how you imported your application or how you are starting the application?

I copied the entire project directory over to my linux machine, then ran the .exe in AdvancedHMI's bin directory.
I don't mean to side track this thread, but can you please explain mono? From what I've read it only supports c#, so how will it work with ahmi?

James

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 11:55:40 AM »

I don't mean to side track this thread, but can you please explain mono? From what I've read it only supports c#, so how will it work with ahmi?

James

Mono is a project that adds .net framework and common language runtime support to Linux and MacOS.  In regards to only supporting c#, I believe this applies to development on Linux and MacOS, not necessarily a compiled application.

Phrog30

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 01:05:01 PM »
Thanks for the response on Mono.

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 06:55:22 AM »

habadeer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 12:35:35 PM »
dmroeder, thanks for the reply.  I will try repeating your steps.  Just making sure of the steps you followed...., you did bring the project into Mono on a Linux machine and do the compiling there, correct?  I know I can RUN an exe using Mono on a Linux machine, my problem is I am trying to COMPILE and run the project.  Whenever I build the project the bin folders only ever contain the MFG dlls and nothing more.  I could still be doing this completely wrong.  Just trying to figure out what step I am missing.  Any help is appreciated.

I am using GTK for my HMI, so I am assuming I cannot build a GTK application on Windows.  Also, I would prefer not to have to build it in Windows.  :)

Godra, thanks for the reply.  I have looked at the Raspberry Pi posting.  Again, here the problem is Mono was used strictly to run the exe and not to build the project.

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 01:01:22 PM »
dmroeder, thanks for the reply.  I will try repeating your steps.  Just making sure of the steps you followed...., you did bring the project into Mono on a Linux machine and do the compiling there, correct?  I know I can RUN an exe using Mono on a Linux machine, my problem is I am trying to COMPILE and run the project.  Whenever I build the project the bin folders only ever contain the MFG dlls and nothing more.  I could still be doing this completely wrong.  Just trying to figure out what step I am missing.  Any help is appreciated.

I am using GTK for my HMI, so I am assuming I cannot build a GTK application on Windows.  Also, I would prefer not to have to build it in Windows.  :)

Godra, thanks for the reply.  I have looked at the Raspberry Pi posting.  Again, here the problem is Mono was used strictly to run the exe and not to build the project.

Ahh, I see.  I compiled it in Windows, then copied the entire project, pre-compiled onto the linux machine.  I'm guessing your issue is that VB.NET is not fully supported under mono, so compiling is probably your issue.  It is probably failing to compile all of the components, so it thinks that the dll's have been separated, giving you that error.

habadeer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 01:45:26 PM »
Figured it out.  Thanks to Groda for pointing out the Raspberry Pi thread.  There is a package that allows compiling of VB code under MonoDevelop on Linux.  It is the mono-vbnc package.  Once I installed this the IDE recognized the VB code and I was able to compile.  Of course there were many errors due to references to things that do not translate into Linux, such as most of the Controls components, but once these were fixed, everything compiled and executed directly under Linux.  This is actually even better since now I do not need to go to Windows at all.

WOOHOO!!!

Thanks, guys.

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 04:00:05 PM »
Nice!  Good on ya for sticking with it and updating the thread!