Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Open Discussion / Re: Documentation, Visual Studio, GitHub and more...
« Last post by Automatikai on April 17, 2024, 02:28:12 PM »
Thanks Archie! I didn't know about the AdvancedHMI Files folder, I'll have to see if what I am wanting to do is built into any of the Sample Projects.

I am happy to share the document I am creating that encapsulates many of your program comments, just let me know where to put it. It will be a living document, I learn best by documenting what I do.

As far as training, I would imagine that most of the industrial automation focused users of the software have the same problem I do, a lack of experience in Visual Studio. A good VS class would be useful, but probably would take years to become adept in. I teach PLC classes for AB, Siemens, Omron and Beckhoff, and students only pick up the very basics in a week. I always tell them it takes years of practice on real-world applications to become adept at it, and they rarely have the opportunity to write their own code and build equipment like I did coming up. I teach TwinCAT only to people with a firm foundation in ladder from some other platform, and it is MUCH harder to teach things like OOP and ST structures to people with no practical coding background in a non-graphical language. Also for most of them their company pays for the training, companies have much deeper pockets than individuals.

I tried to attach a pdf of the document here, but the max file size is 512k and the pdf is 1.6MB. I am also happy to share the Word format with you or anyone who wants to collaborate on it. Let me know how I might share it.
Open Discussion / Re: Documentation, Visual Studio, GitHub and more...
« Last post by Archie on April 17, 2024, 12:32:46 PM »
AdvancedHMI does lack public documentation because years ago this was done by intention in order to give an advantage for attending the training classes. There was an attempt to create a user driven documentation wiki, but thanks to spammers, that had to be locked down:

https://advancedhmi.com/documentation/index.php/Main_Page

There was also a repository for samples, which is now fairly old:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/files/advancedhmi/3.5/SampleProjects/

Any suggestions along with offers of help to improve the documentation is always welcome.
Open Discussion / Documentation, Visual Studio, GitHub and more...
« Last post by Automatikai on April 17, 2024, 11:20:20 AM »
Hi Archie!

I don't know if you remember me, but I visited you several years ago asking about animating objects in Advanced HMI for a ControlLogix HMI. At that time I had not done much with Advanced HMI, or for that matter Visual Studio.

After doing some research on VS I found many suggestions for code development, including that of committing code to Git so that things can be tracked and reversed. I have also looked through this forum as part of my learning experience.

As many have mentioned here, most questions are solved by looking for help on VS and Visual Basic/.NET, but it opens a huge can of worms for those of us who are very experienced in PLC topics but not app coding and all the associated languages.

As part of my learning journey I have taken many of the help files and comments in your software and put it in a Word document with chapters, headings etc., which I would be happy to share with anyone who wants it. Unfortunately I don't see an easy way to collaborate on such a document, so right now as I find different questions that need to be answered I just write them up and add them to my document.

I am still struggling a lot with some basic things that would be simple if using FactoryTalk View, WinCC or even VISUs in CodeSYS or TwinCAT. Things like screen switching, creating an interface for setting up communications (IP address, slot number, subroutine concatenation with tag addresses, etc.) I am sure this has been done by many people, but despite this being an open platform I have found very few code examples that help answer my questions. Without my work in TwinCAT and CodeSYS I would be completely lost in Visual Studio.

Several regulars on this site have rightly chastised new members for not researching Visual Studio coding more before asking questions, but I fear it is a multi-year exercise to learn the ins and outs of this type of coding, even with my extensive experience in programming PLCs, including ST.

Any pointers you might have in finding more examples of deployed HMI code or better VS training?
Open Discussion / Re: Where is admin posts
« Last post by Godra on April 12, 2024, 04:16:15 PM »
If those posts don't make any sense then delete them.

You can always give them a chance to make sense by responding to their posts.

Just my opinion.
Support Questions / Graphic indicator
« Last post by stephen.crouch on April 11, 2024, 12:41:11 PM »
I have multiple statuses for equipment, stored in my compactlogix as DINT variables (0=stop, 1=run, 2=trip).  The PLC stores the DINT data as booleans (eg. if Conv2_Stat is 2, then Conv2_Stat.0=False and Conv2_Stat.1=True). 

O am trying to get these variables to drive graphicindicator blocks.  I can get them to work if I specify individual boolean variables, but won't work when I use Conv2_Stat.0 as PLCAddressValueSelect1 and Conv2_Stat.1 as PLCAddressValueSelect2.  Am I doing something wrong, or is this just not going to work?
Open Discussion / Where is admin posts
« Last post by dmroeder on April 11, 2024, 09:50:42 AM »
What's up with all these posts like:

Where is admin ?
[some other words]

Thank

Seems highly likely the people are bots or spammers but they don't seem to be posting anything else.  Should I just delete them?  Seems like Archie has been.  Not sure what the angle is.  The recent one joined March 17th, made the first post over night.  Odd.
Support Questions / Re: How to Avoid PLC and PC timeouts
« Last post by paintman on April 02, 2024, 12:58:56 PM »
Hey Archie, I know this is an old thread but I had to take a step back for other projects.

I don't think I fully understand the way the elements, plcaddressitems, and e.values would work. Does e.values report single values based on the elements?
So we have 85 carriers on our line that pass through a scanner to tell us which one it is (they are not in order)
So in my code it would be Carrier_Info[Stop_1.Carrier_Number] as the main tag and then the elements follow would be paint_color, name, oven_cycle and so on.

So would I need to just define 85 plcaddress items each with 8 elements and then still use the carrier number variable to define the e.value?
Support Questions / Second monitor
« Last post by stephen.crouch on April 02, 2024, 09:26:00 AM »
Hello, I've got the 17" Industrial panel, and I'm trying to set up a second monitor for a process overview screen.  How do I do that - create the second screen that is.  I have a TV attached as the monitor, but I don't know how to get the second form in VB created.

I have not dealt with VB much at all, and all of my HMI experience is Allen-Bradley PanelView and older PanelMate controls.  This seems to have a steep learning curve, hopefully I'll figure it out before our go-live date, but the lack of documentation is frustrating.
Support Questions / Re: Change colors on Chart with logging
« Last post by Archie on March 28, 2024, 06:31:40 PM »
It does not appear there is a way to change the default colors.
Support Questions / Change colors on Chart with logging
« Last post by stephen.crouch on March 27, 2024, 12:02:44 PM »
Is it possible to change the plot and background colors on the chart with logging?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10