Author Topic: privilege violation EthernetIPforCLXCom  (Read 2621 times)

HFM

• View Profile
privilege violation EthernetIPforCLXCom
« on: June 29, 2017, 10:26:38 PM »
Hi
Nice library hopefully I can get it working.

I have a simple system with 1 Allen Bradley Control Logix 5562 controller.

The pc interface did have proficy ifix running. But that has been uninstalled.
I pulled down the tag list with Advanced HMI and I can read the tags. and then the values. eg.
SCADA_LSA_WB_Cont_ILok, False
SCADA_LSA_WB_Energised, False
SCADA_LSA_WB_SELECTED, False
SCADA_LSA_WB_AVAILABLE, True
between the four of these they should control a relay. some are safeguards I guess.

But when I go to set the tags I get an exception "Privilege Violation"
Code: [Select]
EthernetIPforCLXCom1.Write("SCADA_LSA_WB_Cont_ILok", 1) I have tried others too.

I guess the exception is coming from the program running on the plc. Is this correct?

If so, How can I interrogate or rewrite this program.
I have reinstalled "ifix" but I can see anything that looks like Rxlogix or whatever you write the app in.

Ideally I would like to completely drop RxLogix and ifix and any proprietry stuff and use AdvancedHMI, is this possible?

Phrog30

Re: privilege violation EthernetIPforCLXCom
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 10:35:26 PM »
Wondering if the tags in the CLX are read only, can you verify the tags are read/write?

HFM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 10:47:01 PM »
I would expect some of them are read only and hopefully some aren't.
Forgive me I am new to PLCs, though I am an elec engineer and programmer.
Currently the only software I have that talks to the Control Logix is AdvancedHMI.
So I am not sure how to verify what is read only.

here is the full tag list if that helps.

Phrog30

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 07:11:16 AM »
Open RSLogix/Studio and look at the tags. By the way, you aren't going to be able to completely drop logix software. Advancedhmi isn't going to be able to program your PLC stuff, ladder, sfc, fb, etc. Your CSV isn't the controller tag properties, it looks like something you internally created.

HFM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 10:53:50 AM »
I haven't got RSLogix. It was deleted from the PC.
IFix basically filled up the hard drive completely then gave up.

I just used the EthernetIPforCLXCom.GetTagList() function to get those tags.

Basically somebody else has already programmed the PLC. They are long gone. It was developed circa 2011. Nobody here understands it.
I can't find a copy of RSLogix, Rockwell wont let me download it, I have no Studio software either.
All I have is "Proficy IFix", which I cannot understand, I am missing a disk of drivers for it.

Just recently I installed AdvancedHMI, AdvancedHMI actually talks to the plc (reads) which is nice but I would like to do more. (Write)
I was really hoping AdvancedHMI would be the only interface I need, especially if I don't need to change the PLC program. I am pretty sure the program doesn't do anything but map the IO out to a pc screen.

So I guess I need to get RSLogix. I don't see a price on the internet for it.
The other option, which my boss is pursuing is to rip out the Allen Bradley and put in Labview.
It just reinforces why I hate Industrial proprietry crap.
Good luck with the AdvancedHMI solution.

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 11:17:37 AM »
AdvancedHMI can read and write to tags that exist in the PLC.  It cannot modify the program or configuration of the PLC.  It's a HMI software package, not a program development package.

If you need to upload the program or make modifications to it, you have only one option.  RSLogix.

If you happen to have a copy of the .ACD file somewhere, I could take a look at it for you.

The most likely reason you are getting the Privilege Violation error is because when someone created the tag, they configured it to read only (b-hole move), otherwise AHMI would be able to write to it.  The problem is not AHMI, no software package would be able to write to that tag when it is configured as Read Only.

As for the price, it's pretty expensive.  You have to go through a distributor to get it, though if your distributor is nice, they may be able to offer some assistance.  They have a "mini" version (or at least they used to) which allows you to upload/download and view logic online, just doesn't allow you to make changes online.  It also may only support ladder logic, I can't remember.

Phrog30

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 02:56:16 PM »
Most PLC's are proprietary in one way or another.  RSLogix/Studio is expensive, but worth it for people who use their stuff on a daily basis.  Depending on your applications, I would look at Automation Direct.  Bits turn off and on just like the others, and their hardware is cheap and software is cheap, or even free.  Good luck to you, most power users of AdvancedHMI have found it very useful for it's purpose.  I think you are confused on it's purpose. 

HFM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 08:57:58 PM »
Yes was confused on its purpose. Yes.
Thanks for your views.

The annoying bit is that we had RSLogix before the disk got reformatted, but I can't find the old disk that it was on.
It got reformatted because a contractor was in for 5 days and installing some NI gear and needed a working client.

But I am sure we don't really need to change the PLC programming as it was basically just passing through the commands from a PC clients gui.
Open relay, Close relay, Change VSD speed, read voltage, current, read digital state, read analogue level. 
This is the sort of stuff I imagine AdvancedHMI would be perfect for. As I am pretty good with C# I would prefer to use it over any proprietry stuff when possible, and the possible NI upgrade has no actual timeframe as yet.

I will look around for an .ACD file and look further for the RSLogix app next week.

Phrog30

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 09:03:59 PM »
If the company purchased the software you could probably get the software.  I would call your distributor and see if they have anything on file.  RA doesn't really charge for the software, they charge for the activation.  If you know the company name, which you obviously should, then they should be able to find your software serial number which then should allow you to find your activations.  Worth a shot.

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 10:57:51 PM »
As Phrog30 said, Rockwell keeps record of who owns what.  Your distributor can get you the software and they can get you the activation if you legitimately own it.

If you do find the ACD, hit me up, I'll help you look at it and I can PDF it for you.  I could at least figure out what is stopping you from writing tags.  Or if there are alternate tags that will get you the result you want.

HFM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 06:00:53 PM »
Sorry about the long delay in getting back. Was busy.

So I managed to get the guy in who setup the system. He took me through RSLogix and we found the parameters were read only.

There were other very similarly named parameters which are writeable and meant for remote access, and they worked straight off.

so now I am runnng HMI to log all the data to a Database and when I get around to it I will redo the IFix gui in HMI.
He has reinstalled the original ifix gui, which is very badly done, but does work.

Also my supervisor is very keen on switching to HMI and is actually going to learn to code C# to do so.
BTW also connecting to the database I run an ASP.net website using Jquery and highcharts to filter and graph data.
Very useful for this application.

Thanks again for your software.

Thanks for your help