Author Topic: What would you like to see in the next major release?  (Read 81075 times)

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
What would you like to see in the next major release?
« on: September 25, 2015, 10:01:42 PM »
Version 3 is in a stage of winding down meaning there will only be bug fixes and minor features added. The plans for version 4 is in the works. I would like to ask what everyone would like to see in Version 4.

A most likely noticeable change will be in the PLCAddress properties. With the upcoming version 4 these properties will not only let you put in an addresss or tag name directly, but also open a dialog that lets you specify scaling parameters. This means current properties like ValueScaleFactor and ValueScaleOffset would go away.

Universal Apps are also being investigated. Under  this format, an AdvancedHMI app would be able to run on a desktop, tablet, phone, and Raspberry Pi.

So if you have any visions of where you like to see the next major version go, please post your ideas.

Godra

• View Profile
Re: What would you like to see in the next major release?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 12:45:21 AM »
There were several topics discussing a possibility of using AHMI on a Raspberry Pi with a serial based PLC connected to it (and a touchscreen).

I guess that ethernet driver seems to be working fine for this kind of setup and if serial connection could be resolved as well then that could make AHMI very "attractive".

maxketcham

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 11:20:03 AM »
A good user manual would be what I'd want

BLFTech

• View Profile
    • BLF-Tech LLC Website
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »
It would be nice to import tags that are exported from the ControlLogix and CompactLogix platforms. Then have them available to select from the controls with a drop down list.

AabeckControls

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 02:14:27 PM »
When you add a new Windows form it always shows up as white background, 300x300 size.

Could you add a way to change the new form defaults so I can make them with the background and screen size for the project I am working on at the time? Then I change the defaults when I start a new project.

Darrell

• Electrician / PLC Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 09:34:12 PM »
A component that would show a burner flame and the length of the flame or intensity controlled by an analog value or just on off

pal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 03:21:39 PM »
+1 with maxketcham , however I know how hard writing manuals are , so if you do , can I suggest you treat a manual like your extra controls and sell as expansion packs by the chapter .
I'm sure others will agree that you deserve a better income stream for all your hard work .

Paul

Ibrahim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 06:24:51 PM »
Hi All,

thanks to AdvancedHMI,
am waiting realy and many other people like me are waiting AdvancedHMI to work with http protocol or web interface.
 if possible.

many thnks

Ibrahim

DEG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 10:09:27 PM »
Hi,

It would be possible to improve the historical record (Datalogger), to send a pdf, xls, xlsx. etc plot them along with all your data and that information also select between ranges of dates and times.

AabeckControls

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 09:25:16 PM »
Another thing I would like to be able to do, along with being able to show MPG movies in a window - be able to show live video from a camera fed into the computer. I work on a system now that the operator can pull up a live shot from a camera inside the machine while it's running.

WellsCPak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 10:07:19 AM »
It would be nice to import tags that are exported from the ControlLogix and CompactLogix platforms. Then have them available to select from the controls with a drop down list.
+1

AaronJC1993

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 11:17:14 AM »
It would be great if I could run AdvHMI on multiple platforms. I'm looking into the feasibility of controlling Allen-Bradley Micro850 Series PLC via AdvancedHMI on iPad, which means I need a way to run the .NET framework. I'm looking into the Mono platform from Xamarin to accomplish .NET on iOS, but it's just adding another layer of complexity. Would love to be able to use AdvancedHMI natively on iOS and Android.

fohdeesha

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 08:21:04 PM »
After my own frustrations and seeing the same from other posters here I think the single easiest thing you could do that would make users much happier long term is some sort of reliable upgrade path with every new release.

For instance, every new release can reliably update your old project files to the latest version.

Currently nearly every new release/bugfix requires completely dumping your old project and starting completely fresh. For me with a smaller setup that's still 5 hours of work all over again just to get a few bugfixes, for other people with large industrial setups I wouldn't be surprised if they would have to spend 100 hours redoing their entire project because the latest release isn't upgradable or compatible. I can't be the only person to be slightly frustrated when I finish building a complex panel just to see a day later a new release is put out that addresses some bugs I've been seeing, but it involves redoing it all from scratch or search and replacing hundreds of files.

Anyway, I'm sure that's way easier said than done. And even if not it's still totally free so we can't complain!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:22:54 PM by fohdeesha »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 08:52:04 PM »
After my own frustrations and seeing the same from other posters here I think the single easiest thing you could do that would make users much happier long term is some sort of reliable upgrade path with every new release.

For instance, every new release can reliably update your old project files to the latest version.
As of version 3.80, the solution went through a major restructure to ease the pain of upgrading and was a huge step forward. However some version updates after that still correct names or change classes, which breaks a previous project when upgraded. To maintain full backward compatibility would begin to make software maintenance tedious and require a lot of time. This in turn would take away the ability to keep the software free. In order to meet in the middle, a couple weeks ago a new service was added the web site for us to upgrade projects for a very small fee.

fohdeesha

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 09:42:58 PM »
In order to meet in the middle, a couple weeks ago a new service was added the web site for us to upgrade projects for a very small fee.

Sounds like a good compromise, I'll most likely be taking advantage of that service soon!