Author Topic: AdvancedHMI on a Raspberry Pi  (Read 107244 times)

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
AdvancedHMI on a Raspberry Pi
« on: February 28, 2015, 09:18:50 AM »
Here is how to run an AdvancedHMI application on a Raspberry Pi

1) Download the Debian Wheezy image
http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

2) Copy the image to the MicroSD card using Win32DiskImager
3) Install the card and boot up the Pi
4) When it gets to the configuration screen, set it to expand the image and also to boot to a Graphical User Interface
5) Select Finish in the configuration and Reboot
6) Once booted into the GUI, open a Command Prompt
7) Type these series of commands:

sudo su
apt-get update
apt-get install mono-complete
apt-get install mono-vbnc

8 ) Put in a memory stick with an AdvancedHMI application on it
9) In the command prompt, use the "cd" command to browse to the memory stick to the directory /bin/debug
10) mono AdvancedHMI.exe

In a few seconds the application should start.

There are a few things you may run into.

- You cannot use an OPC server because it is not a .NET application
- The MessageDisplayByValue may stop the application because it uses a speech library. There is a work around. Find System.Speech.DLL on your Windows PC and copy the file into the /bin/debug directory
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:27:14 AM by Archie »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: AdvancedHMI on a Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 02:54:22 PM »
I recently received the new Raspberry Pi and it is noticeably faster. The price is the same, it is faster, has more memory, and uses the same OS, so the above configuration works exactly the same.

I'll be releasing a new version of AdvancedHMI that has some modifications to make things work better on the Pi. The will be version 3.97g or later.

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 02:29:46 PM »
Holy moly, I had heard of mono, but didn't realize that this was possible.  I have actually been tinkering with some python code that will read/write so that I could log some data from Linux.  I have a Pi at home too, I'll have to give this a go.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 03:38:49 PM »
Be sure to use version 3.98 or higher because it has some changes that allow the AB drivers to work.

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »
Good to know, thanks.

I've was hunting around earlier for a panel mount display to pair with this.  I'm going to try to find something that does not have touch for an inexpensive information display.  I notice that anything panel mount is pretty much the cost of those IVC touch PC's.  Some are more expensive for just a display!

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 04:18:18 PM »
I found the same thing over the years with the panel mount monitor being about the same price as a full panel mount PC. I've been gathering parts up to see what is the lowest cost I can get on a 48" TV with a Pi and everything needed for a working production display. I'm also in the process of getting a panel mount case designed for a 7" display and Pi. The goal is to be able to sell a unit in the $150-$200 range for the non-harsh environment uses.

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 05:11:35 PM »
Cool, I like that idea.  I was kind of looking for the same thing.

I understand that these types of monitors are more specialized (and not in the same demand) than the run-of-the-mill monitors we typically but but I can pick up a 50" tv as a display for half the price of some of them!

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »
Check out Chalkboard Electronics]http://www.chalk-elec.com/]Chalkboard Electronics.  Maybe I'll pick a screen up from here one of these days.  It's funny, the touch enabled screens are only a few dollars more.

johwaa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 04:55:41 PM »
Wow! Now this is some cool stuff! I've got my new Pi already, and I'll be getting one of those touchscreens as well. Thanks guys!!

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 03:00:14 PM »
Wow! Now this is some cool stuff! I've got my new Pi already, and I'll be getting one of those touchscreens as well. Thanks guys!!

if/when you do pick up one of those screens, I'll be curious on what your thoughts are.  I had thought about it myself.

johwaa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 07:57:33 PM »
I'll definitely do that. But at the moment they are out of the big ones. I just sent them a message inquiring about when they expect to have it back in, we'll see what they have to say.

johwaa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 02:49:58 AM »
Well, I got my touchscreen in and it consists of the bare essentials. Meaning that the glass is not in a frame, and has no protection whatsoever. I'm not even going to attempt to wire it up until I come up with something to put it in.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 09:17:49 PM by johwaa »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 05:41:32 AM »
Well, I got my touchscreen in and it consists of the bare essentials. Meaning that the glass is not in a frame, and has no protection whatsoever. I'm not even going to attempt to wire it up until I come up something to put it in.
With the Tontec screen, you can also buy a case for it:

http://www.itontec.com/product-detail/product-name-9/

johwaa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 09:30:09 PM »
Thanks,  But it's kinda small for my needs, I bought the 15.6" one... :)

I'll getto it up for the time being (using plastic cardboard comes to mind), but it's going to have to have a more permanent home.

doggo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 11:44:36 AM »
http://www.itontec.com/about-us/

I love this part:

About

Keep connecting, keep simple.Tontec are primarily focused on the wireless communication technology, we aims at providing electronic products of premium quality at fair price with great customer service. Nowadays our main products are Bluetooth remote shutter, powerbanks,Bluetooth speakers;In the long run we will provide more products depending on the consumer’s demand. We devote ourselves to to make your life much simpler and more wonderful.

:)