Author Topic: RsLinx - Rswho failure  (Read 2645 times)

jazzplayermark

• View Profile
RsLinx - Rswho failure
« on: January 08, 2018, 09:58:00 AM »
I've been working on a new AHMI project and I installed the new version of Visual Studio Community 2017, sqlserver express 2017 and sql server management studio. All that works fine. My problem is that when I open RsLinx I get a message that says 'Rswho failed.. either out of memory, no disk space...etc...

I have uninstalled sqlserver and sqlserver management studio, downloaded the latest version of rxlinx, deleted the harmony files, etc..

Any ideas???

Godra

• View Profile

jazzplayermark

• View Profile
Re: RsLinx - Rswho failure
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 10:55:24 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I've uninstalled all the EDS files just to eliminate that as a possibility.. Still the same thing.  Latest version of RsLinx too..

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 11:45:24 AM »
What about that Harmony service, as per the link in previous post?

jazzplayermark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 11:59:17 AM »
Yes I did that also. I'm sure this has to do with some resource that RsWho needs. I've upped my page file size to twice the recommended setting.  A little while ago I clicked many times on the RsWho icon and at one point it brought up and 'out of memory' error.

My understanding is that RsWho is a network browser so I would think that it needs what any browser would need, such as disk space and memory, network support, etc.

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 12:07:06 PM »
I've seen something different with another Rockwell software program being unable to actually access a specific folder, since this folder had a lock on it.

I am not sure if this might be applicable to your issue.

jazzplayermark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 12:26:57 PM »
I just gave full access to the entire Rockwell folder and subfolders as a test....  :( If I just knew what to uninstall I'd do it as this is my primary PLC Dev machine.... and the one I use in the field.

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 12:32:20 PM »
Even though the error might not be the same, take a look at the steps listed in the post by rhill:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=7725

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 12:39:36 PM »
Couple more things:

- if you can access Configure Drivers pop-up in the RSLinx, what do you see there?
- For a test, try creating a new Administrator account on your computer, login and test RSLinx (delete the account afterwards).

jazzplayermark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 12:49:30 PM »
I can access that drivers, set them up and actually use them to go online in RsLogix500 but since I can't use RsWho from within RsLogix I can't find who is online.

I did see your previous post link but I was a little afraid to mess with anything registry related because that post is 15 years old and was for an XP system. Might be ok, I was just a little timid to try that method.  Maybe at this point I don't have a lot to loose :)

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 05:47:31 PM »
I wonder if this another symptom of the new microsoft security patches.  The latest round of patches for "Spectre/Meltdown" have caused several Rockwell programs to crap out.

jazzplayermark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 06:32:33 PM »
That's a good possibility. I don't really  know when the problem occurred. I've been working on this VB application for almost 2 weeks so it could have happened anytime. I attributed it to something that I installed but that might not be the case. I've checked every file and folder permission that I can think of.

Maybe Microsoft will just fix it one night :)

dmroeder

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 07:34:10 PM »
So the updates came out a few days ago and there is already a technote on several applications that aren't functioning right because of them.  You could uninstall updates that were installed in the last week or so as a test, obviously though, that's not the ideal way to solve the problem.

I wouldn't bet on MS doing anything about it, it's really up to Rockwell.  According to the KB article (1071234), they are working on patches.

Of course, that assumes that the issue is actually related to the update.

Specific windows updates are:
KB4058702, KB4056892 , KB4056890 or KB4056891

nickbri

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 01:04:48 PM »
I just got impacted by this as well and am uninstalling updates to try to resolve. Here's a link to the above mentioned article from rockwell.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1071234#