Author Topic: HPIB / AHMI project  (Read 2197 times)

steerex

• View Profile
HPIB / AHMI project
« on: June 12, 2016, 07:54:19 AM »
Hey Guys,

I have a number of ATE devices that use a HPIB interface for communication and thought it might be interesting to create a project using some of the AHMI visual components to talk to those instruments.

Because of limited budget constraints, I bought an inexpensive USB/HPIB converter and am using it to communicate with a HP3455 multimeter. The device seems to work just fine although there may be some advanced functions it can't support. Later, I will be using the converter to talk to other instruments like Function Generators, Timers / Counters, etc...

For my first project, I created a simple app using the USB/HPIB converter, to talk to the instrument, and the AHMI DigitalPanelMeter component to display the measured values. Basically, it works just fine... WooHoo. Obviously, because there is not a driver in AHMI for the device(s), it's not as simple as programming a PLC/HMI interface but, it's not really that bad.

Once I get it prettied-up, I'll post a screen cap.

One issue that I have is that the HP3455 and many other instruments need more than the 6 digits provided by the DigitalPanelMeter. It can display the data just fine but, would really benefit from having more digits.

Is there a reasonable way to expand the meter to display more digits? Ideally, I'd like to have 10 digits.

Thanks,
Steve Robertson

Godra

• View Profile
Re: HPIB / AHMI project
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 02:21:13 PM »
NumericSevenSegment display, which is a part of Meter Expansion Pack 1, allows 10 digits.

steerex

• View Profile
Re: HPIB / AHMI project
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 05:33:12 PM »
DOH!

I have the meter pack but, for some reason, never built the SevenSegmentDisplay. I guess I just missed it when building all the other controls.

Anyway, it is working now.

Thanks, Steve Robertson