Author Topic: New project: SLC 5/04 not responding over serial  (Read 1379 times)

WellsCPak

• View Profile
New project: SLC 5/04 not responding over serial
« on: April 24, 2017, 03:30:51 PM »
I have just started a new project to talk to a SLC controller and build a basic HMI. I'm new to serial comms AND to the SLC series of processors, and I'm drawing at straws here to get any response.
I have a fresh AHMI project with only the SerialDF1 driver, two basic labels (bits B3:0/0 and B3:0/1) and a standard VB label tied to the ComError event of the driver so I can get some amount of feedback.
Code: [Select]
Private Sub SerialDF1forSLCMicroCom1_ComError(sender As Object, e As Drivers.Common.PlcComEventArgs) Handles SerialDF1forSLCMicroCom1.ComError
        Label1.Text = e.ErrorMessage
    End Sub
When I run the project from visual studio, it doesn't do anything visually for a few seconds, then the ComError label changes to "No Response from PLC"
The two BasicLabels never change from their default text.

Driver: SerialDF1forSLCMicroCom
AHMI Driver Settings: baud=19200, parity=None, checksum=CRC, port=COM3
Controller: SLC 5/04
Channel 0 Settings: mode=DF1 Full Duplex, baud=19200, parity=None, stop=1, checksum=CRC, Source ID=9, No Handshaking

AHMI version 3.99w
Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port adapter

bachphi

• View Profile
Re: New project: SLC 5/04 not responding over serial
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:46:49 PM »
1. Goto Device Manager , verify that the USB Serial Adapter driver is properly installed and check what COM port it connected.
2. In RSLinx, remove or stop all existing serial drivers. Add DF1 Serial device driver - select appropriate COM port.
3. Go online with your rslogix software.
4. Once you verified being able connection online, then SHUTDOWN RSLinx.
5.  Try setup your AAHMI with SerialDF1forSLCMicroCom driver

===================================================
This is NOT alt.read.my.mind.
No such thing is sh^t-for-brains unless you are posting to alt.read.my.mind.
===================================================

WellsCPak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 04:02:48 PM »
1. Goto Device Manager , verify that the USB Serial Adapter driver is properly installed and check what COM port it connected.
Confirmed. Driver is working properly and port is COM3.
2. In RSLinx, remove or stop all existing serial drivers. Add DF1 Serial device driver - select appropriate COM port.
Done, and the auto config process worked when setting up the driver in Linx.
3. Go online with your rslogix software.
No problems.
4. Once you verified being able connection online, then SHUTDOWN RSLinx.
Done.
5.  Try setup your AAHMI with SerialDF1forSLCMicroCom driver
Same result.

I did notice this time around that the USB-to-Serial adapter has some port settings in the Windows Device Manager. I made sure all those settings (baud rate, data bits, stop bits, parity) match my SLC settings.

WellsCPak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 04:05:08 PM »
Just for the sake of trying, I wiped out my already new project in RSLogix. I removed all the add-on cards from the SLC, and ta-da! It works now.

Is there any reason why that would be? I only had a couple I/O cards connected to the SLC before, nothing too crazy...