Author Topic: Windows 10 IOT Enterprise  (Read 2044 times)

Joe Matkowski

• View Profile
Windows 10 IOT Enterprise
« on: August 18, 2017, 11:32:28 AM »
Has anyone run ADVHMI on Windows 10 IOT Enterprise? Rockwell is releasing a compact logix processor that runs it in parallel.

jdm

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Windows 10 IOT Enterprise
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 01:06:33 PM »
I have never actually tried it, but as long as it has .NET 4 installed, it should work. When I was at the AB Automation Fair, I was talking to one of the developers of the software for that CompactLogix. From what I gathered, you should be able to install any software on the Windows 10.

Joe Matkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 10:40:23 AM »
Thanks Archie, I am trying to get my hands on one now, will let you know what I find out.

jdm

seth350

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 10:05:40 AM »
From what I have read about W10IoT is that it will not run Windows Forms apps. It is geared towards the UWP which is totally different than Forms. So much that a forms app cannot be directly converted to a UWP app. There is a UWP desktop bridge that allows developers to migrate their forms apps to UWP while still supporting their legacy clients (Non Windows10/8.1). Although, it just allows a developer to slowly convert their current app to UWP.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 06:16:29 PM »
From what I have read about W10IoT is that it will not run Windows Forms apps.
My understanding is that IOT Core is the limited version that only supports UWP. This is the version that will run on the Raspberry Pi. But the IOT Enterprise version can run all applications. Once again this is only the way I interpreted Microsoft's information and have not yet actually had my hand on IOT Enterprise.

seth350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 08:19:45 PM »
Well then that is good news  ;)