Author Topic: Frustrated with software, can't enter tags.  (Read 1214 times)

ElectroGuy

• View Profile
Frustrated with software, can't enter tags.
« on: October 03, 2017, 05:51:15 PM »
Ok, I get that I'm new to this software and everything is only as good as the time you've spent with it.  My customer has decided to use Advanced HMI and I have limited experience with Visual Studio, though I have successfully written applications in the past.  However, at this point I am finding it virtually unusable.

When I try to enter a tag for any purpose using either the MicroLogix or CLX ethernet connection it will not accept the tag, even if I try to use the one from a video I was watching (TimmerTag.ACC).  I tried using N7:0 for MicroLogix.

Whatever I enter I get a message stating "Property value is not valid", when I click the details button this message is displayed: Object of type 'MfgControl.AdvancedHMI.Drivers.PLCAddressItem' cannot be converted to type 'MfgControl.AdvancedHMI.Drivers.PLCAddressItem' .

I'm sure I'm the idiot, but maybe you could help me out and perhaps make things a bit more idiot proof in the future.

It seems like a great idea, but if this is how the software functions in actual practice it isn't worth the frustration.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Frustrated with software, can't enter tags.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 05:59:14 PM »
First start with the most basic:

- Open the application in Visual Studio
- Build the solution
- From the Toolbox add an EthernetIPforSLCMicroCom to the form
- In the Properties Window, set the IP address to that of your PLC
- Form the Toolbox, add a BasicLabel to the form
- In the Properties Window, set PLCAddressValue to N7:0
- Set PLCAddressKeypad to N7:0
- Run the application

Once the application has started, click on the BasicLabel to get a keypad and enter a new value.

Do you see the value displayed?

ElectroGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 06:18:52 PM »
Alright, thank you Archie.

I downloaded a fresh copy of the base application, I'm working on a VM that I was given by the customer, maybe something was corrupted in the file, with the new application it is working.  To be fair, FactoryTalk View is the main HMI I use and there are plenty of little bugs in there as well, this difference is probably just that I'm used to working around those already.

One thing I will say, everything that I have heard is that you are very responsive,  and now I can appreciate that as well.  In time I'll probably get used to it.

Thanks for your help.

Darrell

• Electrician / PLC Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 07:57:39 PM »
So far this is probably one of the easiest HMI applications that I have used so far , for building HMI's.  Some pretty impressive HMI's can be built without  or very little knowledge of VB . Not a lot of bugs and Archie seems to fix them pretty quick if one appears.

Phrog30

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »
After using advancedhmi, whenever I have to use FTView I absolutely hate it! There aren't a lot of similarities between the two, so to make the most out of it, spend the time to learn advancedhmi. I highly suggest getting Archie to train you, it's the most reasonable priced training out there!

James