Author Topic: PLC addressing for 'dummies'.  (Read 4084 times)

Travspad

• View Profile
PLC addressing for 'dummies'.
« on: February 25, 2014, 04:23:30 AM »
Hi Guys

Can somebody point me in the right direction here. I am very new to this and researching as much as I can, but its a steep learning curve.

I have written a  program which is fine, I have also written a basic program using Advanced HMI but am struggling to get any communication happening.
The PLC is an Xlogic which is very 'similar' to the Siemens Logo, it does support Modbus Tcp and I have tested this connection with PLC to PC(programming software) with success.

My main question is do I need to incorporate Modbus Read\Write function blocks into my programming wherever I need this communication to happen with HMI or can this simply be done directly with the Imput/Output blocks? If so what are thier addresses?

For example I have an automatic cycle but would like to switch to manual to operate my outputs via HMI. Lets say I need to operate Output 1 via basic button. I'm assuming I need to put the address of the output into PlcAddressClick to operate this output? This is where I'm struggling.

This is assuming that this is all possible with this PLC.

Heres a link to the Xlogic manual which has some information on the Modbus communication instructions: http://www.xlogic-plc.com/Modbus%20communication%20instructions.pdf 

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
Travis

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: PLC addressing for 'dummies'.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 05:39:05 AM »
It looks like the PLC only supports ModbusRTU (serial). AdvancedHMI only has a ModbusTCP driver for Ethernet.

Travspad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:12:03 PM »
Hi Archie

Thanks for the reply, I'm not so sure though. I don't think all the documentation has been properly updated since they released the Ethernet version. Take a look at the data sheet for the model I am am using: http://www.xlogic-plc.com/about_te.php?id=239.

The modbus read/write blocks also have the option of com type: Ethernet, and protocol: modbus tcp(rtu).

Cheers,
Travis

mrd1010

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 05:42:13 PM »
The X-logic PLC's work great with advancedHMI, must be the Ethernet version, I have not tried the non Ethernet version with the TCP adaptor. I have an X-logic 22 running a sewage ejector in my nuclear bunker :) 

fohdeesha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 05:53:56 PM »
The X-logic PLC's work great with advancedHMI, must be the Ethernet version, I have not tried the non Ethernet version with the TCP adaptor. I have an X-logic 22 running a sewage ejector in my nuclear bunker :)

advancedhmi now has a very nice bug free RTU driver, so no need for tcp adapters :)