Author Topic: Bug in the ModbusRTUCom Ver AdvancedHMIBeta363  (Read 5421 times)

neptun2002

• View Profile
Bug in the ModbusRTUCom Ver AdvancedHMIBeta363
« on: July 26, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »
Dear Archie I hope that you are in a good condition and I really appreciate your work its awesome project
I send a reply on July 15, 2014, 06:47:20 PM under the Topic: Connect to MODBUS device through USB port  (Read 328 times)
About one Problem I found when I Tested the ModbusRTUCom Ver AdvancedHMIBeta363  But I Got no answer

I consider that you are busy too much but I hope you will find some time to read this Topic

Dear Archie the problem is related to Modbus functions 05 & 06

Function 05 Force Single Coil
Function 06 Preset Single Register

Which is as follows  for Single Coil there is no need to send the Number of elements and also the command in this case should be FF 00 For Turning on Not 00 01
And also for Preset a Single Register there are no need to send the number of elements and the data length
So There are  extra characters in the packet that the driver send to the slave over the serial port any way I summarized what I found in the attached picture pleas have a look

Waiting for your reply

Thank you So much
E.E. MB
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:55:59 AM by neptun2002 »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Bug in the ModbusRTUCom Ver AdvancedHMIBeta363
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 01:19:53 PM »
I did take a look at it and fixed one of the issues. It takes a while to do testing with the ModbusRTU driver because my only means is to use a second computer with a simulator and I can only do that when I am in the office. I will try tomorrow to finish up the fix and post a new release.

neptun2002

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:49:23 AM »
Dear Archie it is about Tow weeks so far since my last replay . I was digging inside the AdvancedHmi Project and For me it was So hard As this is my first time with Visual Basic and .Net
any way during this periode I tried understand the way the project is connected and I did a lot of tests So I found Some Points Which I Hope they will be Helpful for you to make the fixing much more quick

Some of These points  are accisple for me so I made the changes by my self the others wich I found are inside the library and as the source of the library is not available so it si very hard for me to make the changs but I put my suggestion about those  points
as I do not have a full over view about all the project and the hierarchical connections
between the functions and the objects I tried my best to find a solutions wich are not changing any thing for the other objects

of course you can do it in the best perfect way I hope this will help
and again I repeat my high appreciation of this great work and wish you all the best

E.E.mb

'******************************************************************************
'AdvancedHMIBeta363\AdvancedHMIDrivers\Modbus\ModbusRTUCom.vb
'*
'*
'*Private Function ExtractData(ByVal RawData As List(Of Byte), ByVal startByte As Integer, ByVal address As ModbusAddress) As String()
'*
'*
'* Reference :
'*
'*
'*
   '***************************************
        '* Extract the returned data
        '***************************************
        'Original Code********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
        'Private Function ExtractData(ByVal RawData As List(Of Byte), ByVal startByte As Integer, ByVal address As ModbusAddress) As String()
        'End Original Code****************************************************************************************************************************************************************
        'My Code**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Private Function ExtractData(ByVal RawData As List(Of Byte), ByVal startByte As Integer, ByVal address As ModbusAddress, ByVal FunctinCode As Integer) As String()
            '
            Dim ThePlcAddres As String = address.Address
            'End My Code ******************************************************************************************************************************************************************
            Dim values(address.NumberOfElements - 1) As String
            Dim NumberOfBytes As Integer = CInt(Math.Ceiling(address.BitsPerElement / 8))

'The Added Code****************************************************************
            '* Modbus RTU Communication driver
            '*
            '* Extract Data For Function 1 & 2
            '*
            '* Reference :
            '*
            '*
            '*
            If ((FunctinCode = 1) Or (FunctinCode = 2)) Then

Dim InwichByte As Integer = 0
                Dim WichBit As Integer = 0

For CurrentBit As Integer = 1 To (address.NumberOfElements)
                    InwichByte = CInt(Math.Ceiling(CurrentBit / 8))
                    WichBit = (CurrentBit Mod 8)

If Not m_TreatDataAsHex Then
                        values(CurrentBit - 1) = CStr(CLng(RawData(InwichByte) >> (WichBit - 1)) And 1)
                    Else
                        'values(i) = CalculationsAndConversions.ByteToHex(RawData(startByte + i * NumberOfBytes))
                        values(CurrentBit - 1) = CStr(CLng(RawData(InwichByte) >> (WichBit - 1)) And 1)
                    End If

Next
                Return values
            End If
            'End Of Added Code*************************************************************

Dim i As Integer
            While i < address.NumberOfElements And (startByte + i) < Math.Floor(RawData.Count / NumberOfBytes)
                'Dim HexByte1 As String = Chr(RawData(startByte + i * NumberOfBytes)) & Chr(RawData(startByte + (i * NumberOfBytes) + 1))
                If NumberOfBytes > 1 Then
                    'Dim HexByte2 As String = Chr(RawData(startByte + (i * NumberOfBytes) + 2)) & Chr(RawData(startByte + (i * NumberOfBytes) + 3))
                        values(i) = CStr(RawData(startByte + i * NumberOfBytes) * 256 + RawData(startByte + i * NumberOfBytes + 1))
                    Else
                        values(i) = CalculationsAndConversions.ByteToHex(RawData(startByte + i * NumberOfBytes)) & CalculationsAndConversions.ByteToHex(RawData(startByte + i * NumberOfBytes + 1))
                    End If
                Else

values(i) = CStr(RawData(startByte + i * NumberOfBytes + 1))
                    Else
                        values(i) = CalculationsAndConversions.ByteToHex(RawData(startByte + i * NumberOfBytes))
                    End If

End If

i += 1
            End While

Return values
        End Function

'AdvancedHMIBeta363\AdvancedHMIDrivers\Modbus\ModbusRTUCom.vb
'*
'*
'*Protected Sub DataLinkLayerDataReceived(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As PlcComEventArgs)
'*
'*
'* Reference :
'*
'*
'*
      Protected Sub DataLinkLayerDataReceived(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As PlcComEventArgs)
            '* Not enough data to make up a FINS packet

'Dim TheCoilNomber As String = SavedResponse(e.TransactionNumber).PlcAddress

If e.RawData Is Nothing OrElse e.RawData.Count < 4 Then
                Exit Sub
            End If

Dim CoileNumber As Integer = (e.RawData(3) * 16 + e.RawData(2))

Dim RTU As New ModbusRTUFrame(New List(Of Byte)(e.RawData).ToArray, e.RawData.Count)
            Dim sid As Integer = e.TransactionNumber

If Not TNS.IsMyTNS(sid) Then
                Exit Sub
            End If

TNS.ReleaseNumber(sid)

SavedResponse(sid) = e
            'Dim HostFrame As New HostLinkFrame(e.RawData)

e.PlcAddress = SavedRequests(sid).Address

'* Is it a FINS excapsulated command?
            'If HostFrame.HeaderCode = "FA" Then
            '* Extract the RTU Frame
            'Dim RTU As New ModbusRTUFrame(HostFrame.EncapsulatedData)

If RTU.PDU.ExceptionCode = 0 Then
                If Not SavedRequests(sid).IsWrite Then
                    '* Extract the data
                    'Dim values() As String = ExtractData(New List(Of Byte)(Fins.GetEncapsulatedData), 0, SavedRequests(sid))

'Original Code******************************************************************************
                    'Dim values() As String = ExtractData(RTU.PDU.EncapsulatedData, 1, SavedRequests(sid))
                    'End Original Code**************************************************************************

'My Code************************************************************************************
                    'Private Function ExtractData(ByVal RawData As List(Of Byte), ByVal startByte As Integer, ByVal address As ModbusAddress) As String()

Dim _startByte As Integer = 1
                    Dim values() As String = ExtractData(RTU.PDU.EncapsulatedData, _startByte, SavedRequests(sid), RTU.PDU.FunctionCode)

'End My Code *******************************************************************************

For i As Integer = 0 To values.Length - 1
                        e.Values.Add(values(i))
                    Next
                    '*******************************************************************************************
                    '* Verify that enough elements were returned before continuing V1.11 6-MAR-12
                    If e.Values.Count < SavedRequests(sid).NumberOfElements Then
                        Exit Sub
                    End If

If m_SynchronizingObject IsNot Nothing Then
                        '* Is this from a subscription?
                        If Not SavedRequests(sid).InternallyRequested Then
                            Dim Parameters() As Object = {Me, e}
                            m_SynchronizingObject.BeginInvoke(drsd, Parameters)
                        Else
                            Dim i As Integer
                            '* 07-MAR-12 V1.12 If a subscription was deleted, then ignore
                            Dim SavedCount As Integer = PolledAddressList.Count
                            While i < PolledAddressList.Count
                                '* 06-MAR-12 V1.11 Make sure there are enough values returned (4th condition)
                                '* trap and ignore because subscription may change in the middle of processin
                                Try
                                    If SavedRequests(sid).ReadFunctionCode = PolledAddressList(i).Address.ReadFunctionCode AndAlso _
                                       SavedRequests(sid).Element <= PolledAddressList(i).Address.Element AndAlso _
                                      (SavedRequests(sid).Element + SavedRequests(sid).NumberOfElements) >= (PolledAddressList(i).Address.Element + PolledAddressList(i).Address.NumberOfElements) AndAlso _
                                      (PolledAddressList(i).Address.Element - SavedRequests(sid).Element + PolledAddressList(i).Address.NumberOfElements) <= SavedResponse(sid).Values.Count Then
                                        Dim f As New PlcComEventArgs(New Byte() {0}, PolledAddressList(i).Address.Address, CUShort(sid))
                                        Dim index As Integer = 0
                                        While index < PolledAddressList(i).Address.NumberOfElements
                                            f.Values.Add(SavedResponse(sid).Values(PolledAddressList(i).Address.Element - SavedRequests(sid).Element + index))
                                            index += 1
                                        End While

Dim x As Object() = {Me, f}
                                        'm_SynchronizingObject.Invoke(PolledAddressList(i).dlgCallBack, x)
                                        Try
                                            '* 07-MAR-12 V1.12
                                            If SavedCount = PolledAddressList.Count Then
                                                m_SynchronizingObject.BeginInvoke(PolledAddressList(i).dlgCallBack, x)
                                            End If
                                        Catch ex As Exception
                                            Dim debug = 0
                                        End Try
                                    End If
                                Catch ex As Exception
                                    Dim debug = 0
                                End Try
                                i += 1
                            End While
                        End If
                    Else
                        RaiseEvent DataReceived(Me, e)
                    End If
                End If
                SavedRequests(sid).Responded = True
            Else
                If m_SynchronizingObject IsNot Nothing Then
                    Dim Parameters() As Object = {Me, New PlcComEventArgs(RTU.PDU.ExceptionCode, "Error Code " & CalculationsAndConversions.ByteToHex(CByte(RTU.PDU.ExceptionCode >> 8)))}
                    m_SynchronizingObject.BeginInvoke(errorsd, Parameters)
                Else
                    RaiseEvent ComError(Me, New PlcComEventArgs(RTU.PDU.ExceptionCode, "Error Code " & CalculationsAndConversions.ByteToHex(CByte(RTU.PDU.ExceptionCode >> 8))))
                End If
                SavedRequests(sid).ErrorReturned = True
            End If

'End If
        End Sub

Namespace MfgControl.AdvancedHMI.Drivers.Modbus
    Public Class ModbusPDUFrame

'* Namespace MfgControl.AdvancedHMI.Drivers.Modbus
'* Public Class ModbusPDUFrame
'* Public Sub New(ByVal functionCode As Byte, ByVal address As ModbusAddress, ByVal data As Byte())
'*
'* Reference :
'*
'* Note:
'* My Suggestion Code

Public Sub New(ByVal functionCode As Byte, ByVal address As ModbusAddress, ByVal data As Byte())
            Me.FullPacket = New List(Of Byte)
            Me.FunctionCode = functionCode
            '****************************************************************************

If (Me.FunctionCode <> 5) And (Me.FunctionCode <> 6) Then

'The original Code ******************************************************
                Me.m_EncapsulatedData = New List(Of Byte)(New Byte() {CByte((address.Element >> 8)), CByte((address.Element And &HFF)), CByte((address.NumberOfElements >> 8)), CByte((address.NumberOfElements And &HFF))})
                Me.m_EncapsulatedData.Add(CByte((data.Length And &HFF)))
                Dim num2 As Integer = (data.Length - 1)
                Dim i As Integer = 0

Do While (i <= num2)
                    Me.m_EncapsulatedData.Add(data(i))
                    i += 1
                Loop

'End Of the Original Code Block *****************************************

ElseIf Me.FunctionCode = 5 Then

If data(0) = 1 Then
                    Me.m_EncapsulatedData = New List(Of Byte)(New Byte() {CByte((address.Element >> 8)), CByte((address.Element And &HFF)), CByte(&HFF), CByte((&H0))})
                Else
                    Me.m_EncapsulatedData = New List(Of Byte)(New Byte() {CByte((address.Element >> 8)), CByte((address.Element And &HFF)), CByte(&H0), CByte((&H0))})
                End If
            ElseIf Me.FunctionCode = 6 Then
                'CByte((address.Element >> 8)), CByte((address.Element And &HFF)), CByte((address.NumberOfElements >> 8)), CByte((address.NumberOfElements And &HFF))
                Me.m_EncapsulatedData = New List(Of Byte)(New Byte() {CByte((address.Element >> 8)), CByte((address.Element And &HFF))})
                'Me.m_EncapsulatedData.Add(CByte((data.Length And &HFF)))
                Dim num2 As Integer = (data.Length - 1)
                Dim i As Integer = 0
                Do While (i <= num2)
                    Me.m_EncapsulatedData.Add(data(i))
                    i += 1
                Loop
            End If
        End Sub

Later also I found This Bug

'* Namespace MfgControl.AdvancedHMI.Drivers.Modbus
'* Public Class ModbusPDUFrame
'* Public Sub New(ByVal packet As Byte(), ByVal lengthOfThePacket As Integer, ByVal offset As Integer)
'*
'* Reference :
'*
'* Note:
'* My Suggestion Code

Public Sub New(ByVal packet As Byte(), ByVal lengthOfThePacket As Integer, ByVal offset As Integer)
            Me.FullPacket = New List(Of Byte)

'Original Code*********************************************************************************
            'offset = 0 From caller
            'End Original Code*****************************************************************************
            If (offset < 0) Then
                offset = 0
            End If

'Original Code*********************************************************************************
            'Me.m_FunctionCode = packet((0 + offset))       'The original Bug
            'End Original Code*****************************************************************************

'My Code***************************************************************************************
            Me.m_FunctionCode = packet((1 + offset))
            'End My Code **********************************************************************************

If ((Me.m_FunctionCode >= &H80) AndAlso (packet.Length > 1)) Then
                Me.m_ExceptionCode = packet((1 + offset))
            Else
                Me.m_ExceptionCode = 0
            End If
            Me.m_EncapsulatedData = New List(Of Byte)
            If ((lengthOfThePacket + offset) > packet.Length) Then
                lengthOfThePacket = (packet.Length - offset)
            End If

Dim newPacketLength As Integer = ((lengthOfThePacket + offset) - 1)
            Dim i As Integer = (2 + offset)
            Do While (i <= newPacketLength)
                Me.m_EncapsulatedData.Add(packet(i))
                i += 1
            Loop
        End Sub  'Stop ************************************************************************************

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:32:27 AM by neptun2002 »

neptun2002

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 08:58:12 AM »
Hello Archi Thank you so much for the new version AdvancedHMIBetaV364 but unfortunately still has bugs you changed the  class ModbusPDUFrame for the function 5 only

but for function 6 "writing a single Register" still has a problem the only value which is written to the register is 1 which is I think the number of elements pleas see my suggestion For ModbusPDUFrame on my previous reply it should work well

and also when using more buttons I gut an this error message

"Additional information: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection."

I could not determine exactly what is it yet

But I think It is related to my last point in my previous reply

'Original Code********************************************************************************
            'Me.m_FunctionCode = packet((0 + offset))       'The original Bug

'My Code*************************************************************************************
            Me.m_FunctionCode = packet((1 + offset))
            'End My Code *********************************************************************************

I think also Class ModbusRTUCom has an issue pleas notice the points I mentioned in my previous reply

thank you so much

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:47:36 AM by neptun2002 »

fohdeesha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 09:52:19 AM »
check the discussion over here - http://advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=410.msg1433

with build 3.65 he just pushed, reading coils works great now. however still some weird issue with writing (function code 05)

neptun2002

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 11:16:03 AM »
Dear Archie Thank you so much for your efforts in this great project

I tested the new version 368 but unfortunately it is not working good like the previews one 367
so in my testing for function 1 one using a toggle switch it is not work So
I found one point that you have to have a look

'****************************************************************************************************
Namespace MfgControl.AdvancedHMI.Drivers.ModbusRTU
    Public Class ModbusRTUDataLinkLayer
'****************************************************************************************************   

'The original Code ***********************************************************************************
        Public Function SendRTUFrame(ByVal RTUPacket As ModbusRTUFrame, ByVal OwnerObjectID As Long) As Integer
            Dim num As Integer
            Me.SendData(RTUPacket.GetByteStream, OwnerObjectID)
            Return num
        End Function

'My Suggestion***************************************************************************************
        Public Function SendRTUFrame(ByVal RTUPacket As ModbusRTUFrame, ByVal OwnerObjectID As Long) As Integer
            Dim num As Integer = 0
            num = Me.SendData(RTUPacket.GetByteStream, OwnerObjectID)
            Return num
        End Function
 also I found that the returned value from function num = Me.SendData(RTUPacket.GetByteStream, OwnerObjectID)

is not stable I mean it is not always reflect an index for valid data even if there is a response from PLC  Pleas Have a look to the attached Pic.
also I can notice that is the traffic is slower may be this is the point ??

So pleas Have a deeper look

Thank you
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 11:40:02 AM by neptun2002 »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 06:08:13 PM »
Thanks for the additional feedback. I corrected the first problem. The second in your image shouldn't be a problem because WaitForResponse returns a -20 on a timeout and there will not try to access the SavedResponses

neptun2002

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 12:56:33 PM »
Yes Archie I realise  this point what I mean that the CurrentTransactionNumber

as you can see in the pic

is not always correct especially if there are heavy traffic on the serial     

but with ver 367 this problem was not exist

I could not exactly find the problem but I am sure it is in this function

Namespace MfgControl.AdvancedHMI.Drivers.ModbusRTU
    Public Class ModbusRTUDataLinkLayer

Public Function GetNextTransactionNumber(ByVal max As Integer) As Integer

with ver 367 the NextTransactionNumber always comming right

pleas have a deeper look to the new method GetNextTransactionNumber

thank you so much

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 02:33:17 PM »
I guess I'm not understanding how you determine that it is not coming out correct. The transaction number is a sequential number that is tagged along with the packet, so the requesting routine can identify it as it's own packet and which packet.

Version 3.68 let's the data link layer generate the transaction number instead of a separate class. This closed a gap that allowed a disconnect between the packets that did not respond and releasing the transaction numbers for packets that did not get a response. For instance, let's say a transaction number was requested and the packet was put in the queue to be sent. In the mean time an error on the serial port could discard the packet and the transaction number would miss the notification. Then it raised the question of how long should it wait before it would be released. If it took too long, all the numbers could get tied up. If it was too soon, then packet responses would not be able to get to the right owner. By letting the data link layer generate this number, it could control the release of it much more efficiently.

I tested this by setting the driver PollRateOverride to 50ms and udping 5 numbers. It ran for 10 hours without missing a single packet.

neptun2002

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 03:34:21 PM »
Thank you so much Archie I appreciate your reply infact now I have bothe version the 367 works great but same on over 368 is not working good  as I taled I just guess that is the point.

The setup that I am testing is 32 puttons from address 00001 to 00032
In toggel mode with plcvalue the same address and visible for all 00001

Plus eight holding registers 40001 to 40008

The problem occuers on click on the toggel switches sometimes it is OK sometimes

Read error always

Same arrangement on ver 367 do not miss a single click on the toggel switches

I will try to catch the problem if I can

Thank you so much
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 03:37:00 PM by neptun2002 »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 03:51:26 PM »
What is your baud rate? Did you change the value in PollRateOverride?

I will try to replicate this problem tonight or tomorrow.

neptun2002

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 04:17:48 PM »
No I did not change PollRateOverride

And

The baud rate is 9600

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 08:59:34 AM »
I tried to replicate this problem and the closest I have been able to come is to remove all of the delays. If the next write was sent less than 1ms after the last read, the PLC would not respond to it. This would occur once every few minutes. I am testing on a Click PLC with 38400 baud rate and a PollRateOverride of 50ms. I confirmed the PLC was actually not responding by using a serial port monitor program.

I modified the code to insert a minimum delay between the previous read and the next write. Each time a response is missed, it increases the delay by 1ms up to a maximum of 20ms. I let the program run for 5 hours and the delay increased to 7ms. After that it never missed another read or write.

I'll release these changes in version 3.69

Can you run a serial port monitor to see if your device is definitely not responding and if not, what is the time in between each packet? I am using Device Monitoring Studio by HHD software.

neptun2002

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 12:06:05 PM »
Thank you so much Archie for all these efforts

what you describe make cense if the packet is coming faster than the PLC then the PLC definitely  will not respond

But I have to say what I noticed when I was debugging  I noticed that the packet which is related to the button click is coming out after the error occurred in other words it sounds like if there are some thing wrong with the queue    " Me.SendQue.Enqueue(item) "

Unfortunately I do not have  (Device Monitoring Studio by HHD software) to test with.
 it coast about 400$

So any way I think that I will wait until you relies the new 369 Ver to test again

thank you so much
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:17:14 PM by neptun2002 »

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 07:20:29 PM »
Version 3.69 is now posted. I did a full implementation of the 3.5 characters of silence between packets as detailed in the Modbus specification. This should make the driver work with any device that closely complies with this.