Author Topic: Advanced HMI with RSLogixEmulate 500, "Failed to get processor type"  (Read 8598 times)

astroman

• View Profile
Hello,
I've been attempting to test Avanced HMI with the RsLogix500 and RsLogixEmulate500 software, using this video as a guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDtgIS-nj7I

All steps have been completed. However, when I run Advanced HMI, a get a "Failed to get processor type" message on all of the control components. The original program which I'm emulating is written for the 1747-L552C 5/05 CPU, OS501 Series C. I'm using the dF1Comm1 driver and com0com for virtual COMM ports, and I'm following the video exactly. Are there any apparent issues with my attempt? Thank you.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Advanced HMI with RSLogixEmulate 500, "Failed to get processor type"
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »
What version of AdvancedHMI are you using? There was an issue around version 3.82 that would not connect and only returned the "Failed to Get Processor Type". A new version a 3.87 was posted last night that has been tested on a real processor and no longer gives the error.

astroman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 10:32:51 AM »
Thank you Archie. I've just tested the setup with v3.87 and the error remains. Perhaps the issue is specific to my processor. In the video I've viewed, everything appears to be working perfectly.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
In the AdvancedHMI\Documents folder there is a PDF file that someone had written up on how to use RSEmulate. See if that is of any help.

I have never used RSEmulate and do not have the software test, so my help is kind of limited.

btjiii

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 01:29:43 PM »
Can you tell me how to get to this document?

Vitor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 04:32:57 PM »
The document is located in \AdvancedHMIBetaV3xxx\AdvancedHMI\Documents with the name UsingAdvancedHMIwithRSLogixEmulator500.pdf.
With version 3.98t I've tried with diferent processor, including Micrologix 1000, and its not working.
The last version I've tried with sucess was 3.98f, on the others versions I dont if it works.

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 10:37:40 PM »
Vitor seems to be correct. I just tried 3.98f and it works while 3.98t didn't (failed to get processor type).

Here is a screen of free com0com program as I set it up on my computer (instead of using the Eltima software driver from pdf file since it only has 14-day trial available).
This com0com program installed paired ports as Com5 and Com6 but I renamed them to Com1 and Com2 on this same screen, since RSLogix Emulate 500 doesn't seem to support any ports above Com4. My computer doesn't have any physical Com ports and that's why I could do it like this. Prior to installing this program, check the computer Device Manager and it will show what ports are already installed on a computer.

The instructions in pdf file are correct, but since ports are paired up you can alternate beetwen them (example would be if you set the emulator "Channel 0 Data Highway Settings" to Com1 then you have to set AdvancedHMI port to Com2 and vice versa).

One thing you have to make sure is that RSLogix Emulator 500 is only running 1 ladder at the time. If you were using it before then those previous ladders are probably still active in the emulator and might be taking Station # 1.

This is what I would suggest you do: open RSLogix Emulate 500 and if there is a ladder or .RSS file already showing then click "HLT" button to halt it and then on the "File" menu click "Close". Repeat these steps for any ladder that might be showing afterwards and then open the ladder that you want to use with the emulator and AdvancedHMI and follow the settings from pdf file (com0com or any other driver has to be setup prior to doing this). Check the attached picture.

Also attached is a picture of RSLogix Micro with sample ladder which I used as well as the Controller Properties and Channel Configuration screens.

Also attached is a picture of RSLinx with the driver configuration screens. <--  Edit: RsLinx only needs to be used to install the emulator driver and download ladder program to emulated PLC when using RSLogix Micro or 500. RSLogix Emulate 500 appears to be able to run as standalone application and doesn't need RSLinx running in the background.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:19:01 PM by Godra »

Vitor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 10:50:34 AM »
What Godra explains its true.
I only use the RSEmu500 driver in RSLinx and also in RSlogix if i want to go online with RSLogix.
Also tried several versions of the wonderfull software AdvancedHMI is with RSEmu500 and the last that work for me is version 398p. I've tried with several processors and the result always be the same. And i use com0com with the same settings listed by Godra; in my tests i used th COM1-COM2 and COM3-COM4 pairs.
In my opinion in the last versions Archie have modified MfgControl.AdvancedHMI.Drivers.dll to have others functions with the remains drivers. But with a conection to a PLC the DF1 works well.

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 09:36:44 PM »
There is another way of setting up com0com paired ports and theoretically it would allow for 4 useful combinations (when it comes to using RSLogix Emulator).

The ports could be set up in pairs as COM1-COM11, COM2-COM12, COM3-COM13 and COM4-COM14 (the ports numbered with 11, 12, 13 and 14 could be changed to other numbers like 5, 6, 7 and 8 or different).

Since the emulator relies on ports 1, 2, 3 or 4 then one of these would have to be assigned to it while the other paired port 11, 12, 13 or 14 would have to be used in AHMI project (check the attached picture of DF1Com1 Settings).

Another point to make is setting RSLinx emulator driver workstation number. I have just used number 5 for it and in RSLogix emulator selected station numbers 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4 one at the time, selected the same number in DF1Com1 TargetNode property and it worked as well. Check the attached pictures taken when testing station number 4 (I used paired ports COM1-COM11).

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 07:25:16 PM »
For those who would like to try a test project with the emulator, here is a solution created in older version of AHMI (3.84) as well as .rss ladder file to be opened and run in the RSLogix emulator and pictures of settings as I have them on my computer:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0j3pz14wy97mwr6/AdvancedHMI%20-%20ML1000%20Emulation.zip?dl=0

Attached here is the picture of the project screen, which is just a simple I/O port test of the MicroLogix 1000 Analog PLC.

You will have to have com0com and RSLogix Emulate 500 already installed on your computer. If you don't make any changes and follow the pictures for settings then this test project should run properly.

Each green button will light up individual output in green, red button will have paired outputs light up in red (there is more inputs than outputs and that's why I set it up this way). These buttons are actually controlling bits B3:0/x which are placed in parallel with "physical" inputs.

KeypadHMI control is also placed on the screen so you could see a difference between activating output with a bit and with a "physical" input.

If the ladder file was to be loaded to a physical PLC then all these "physical" words would really become physical inputs (which cannot really be controlled by the HMI since the PLC should scan the physical ports and use their current state regardless of how you set it in the HMI program). By using the B3:0/x bits, physical inputs are bypassed and this allows HMI program to control the PLC which, in production environment, would need to be considered seriously since you don't want anyone remotely controlling the PLC if operators might be present. Some sort of safety measures would need to be implemented if bypassing physical inputs.

Edit: This project was tested with AHMI V399d and was working fine as well. Here is the link to that full solution

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7vpeo7mhtyvbns4/AdvancedHMIBetaV399d%20-%20ML1000%20Emulation.zip?dl=0

The same settings apply as stated previously (also download file from previous link to get .rss file for RSLogix emulator).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:21:08 PM by Godra »