Author Topic: Alternative way to view AHMI  (Read 1610 times)

DJShardy

• View Profile
Alternative way to view AHMI
« on: November 25, 2018, 01:41:11 AM »
Hi,
I have used AHMI to make some pretty simple screen to show some plant metrics.

As a shoot off from that, I made some screen that runs on my desktop - Like a mini version of the 43" screens.

I got caught by production and they all wanted a copy.

So my question is - Is there a way other than installing the application on every manager's laptop. Get frustrating when you make a change and all 7-10 people want the updated version. Can I host it somewhere on site and they access it from a browser maybe?

Worth noting that its purely "view only" The screen I made only displays values. No control from them.

Thanks

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: Alternative way to view AHMI
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 02:01:11 AM »
Three options that I have used before:

1) The SimpleWebServer component gives a snapshot of one form and it will automatically refresh every several seconds. But I find it rather difficult to make it work because of things like firewall issues.

2) There is also a Click Once deployment that can be deployed through a web server. After deploying to the web server, you provide a link to a web page. That page gives a link used to install the application. Every time the application is started, it will check the web link again for updates. This uses the publish function which a generally discourage because of its quirks.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/deployment/clickonce-security-and-deployment?view=vs-2017

3) If there is a plant network file server that everyone is logged into, you can copy the application to a shared directory, then create a shortcut to the executable on the user's PC. When you update the application everyone gets the update becuase they are using a shared copy of the executable.

MrPike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 08:29:21 AM »
How about a remote desktop application such as Teamviewer or Ultra VNC?  That way you can have one version running and everyone remotes into it. 

DJShardy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 11:53:24 PM »
Thank guys.

How do I use the SimpleWebServer? Is there a guide on it. Did a google and didn't find anything.

Option 3 might be the best bet I think. However, I do like the idea of the Web server.

True about the VNC. I could also look into that.

On another note. When I build the app. On some PCs, it seems fine ( like the one I build it on) then when putting it onto another PC ( Not all the time ) it appears squashed - Is it something to do with the resolution?

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 06:06:11 AM »
Search SimpleWebServer on this forum and you will find various discussions. It can be very difficult to get it to work.

https://www.advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=1799

DJShardy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 07:21:53 PM »
Thanks, I managed to get SimpleWebServer working. However, I Think the option of putting the .exe in a shared folder is the best option.