Author Topic: "Read Timeout" on Dell Rugged Tablet as HMI for Click Plus PLC  (Read 1800 times)

Sanya

• View Profile
Hi all, newbie here.

I would like to use advanced HMI to make a dell rugged laptop into an HMI for an assembly line run by a Click Plus PLC. I want this communication to take place over Modbus TCP. Unfortunately however, I'm stuck at the basic setup. I've set the IP address in the TCP Com Port Component to match that of the PLC and added a Digital Panel Meter to my MainForm which references address 400001 (i've tried 40001 as well). When I run the project on the tablet the Digital Panel Meter (and any other components I try) just  says "Read Timeout".

For context the PLC programming software is running on a separate computer through USB Connection so I can monitor the PLC that way.

I was wondering if there is a chance the failure is due to my tablet's physical connection to the PLC. I have Port 1 of the PLC connecting through ethernet to a network switch (no issues there, I've communicated with other devices over modbus TCP through that switch). From there another ethernet cable connects to a Targus USB hub and into the tablets USB-C port.

I'm really at a loss as every video I've watched does the first two instructions and instantly works. It's been difficult to find other examples of issues at this level. Any thoughts?

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: "Read Timeout" on Dell Rugged Tablet as HMI for Click Plus PLC
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 07:13:02 PM »
The first step is to open a Command Prompt and try to ping the IP address of the PLC.

You could also try to increase the Timeout property of the driver to something higher than 3000
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 07:23:14 PM by Archie »