Author Topic: Generic TCP Client  (Read 1226 times)

GreatestUsernameEver

• View Profile
Generic TCP Client
« on: October 12, 2020, 02:52:31 PM »
I have a question related to the Generic TCP client component. To give a little background I have been using this component on a test system that consists of 2 computers and a Etherpath SS1 module. One computer which I'll call the sender consists of a PuTTY instance running on a serial connection, connected to the Etherpath module via a null modem connection. The other computer which I'll call the receiver has the AHMI program running with the generic TCP client which grabs data from the putty terminal via ethernet connection to the Etherpath. The system when I test it works perfectly but when I try to implement it into the actual system the GenericTCPclient.datareceived method doesn't interrupt when data is sent. I believe it has to deal with the communication protocol as its an ISO protocol in which there are acknowledgements to specific bits sent. So my actually question would be is if the GenericTCPclient can handle ACK, SYN, STX, ETX, etc. or would there be an issues that would arise when trying to handle these characters?

Godra

• View Profile
Re: Generic TCP Client
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 04:36:34 PM »
Your setup sounds like a simulation.

What is the exact serial device you would be trying to connect to the LAN?

GreatestUsernameEver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 09:53:21 AM »
The actual computer is still a serial connection to the etherpath module the only difference between the simulation and actual is how the data is sent.

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 01:52:03 PM »
The reason I asked was because AdvancedHMI has one Serial-over-Tcp connection driver but is intended for MicroLogix/SLC PLCs.

Your setup is a bit odd and beyond my comprehension.

Unless someone else might pitch in, I can only suggest to use Google to see if anyone else has used that Etherpath SS1 module the way you are using it, with special attention to PuTTY.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 05:55:03 PM »
The GenericTCPClient uses an end character to know when to trigger the DataReceived Event. Are you getting the character specified in the TerminatingCharacter property?