Author Topic: AdvancedHMI.exe Stops Working / Crash  (Read 3312 times)

AabeckControls

• View Profile
AdvancedHMI.exe Stops Working / Crash
« on: July 21, 2015, 08:03:06 PM »
I have a problem that happens a few times a day.  I did a final rebuild of my project & like Archie suggested in an earlier post did not Publish with VS, but copied the Debug folder to My Documents & run it from there. However a few times a day a window pops up saying AdvancedHMI.exe has stopped & the program closes. Is this a AdvancedHMI problem, a Visual Studio problem, or maybe a computer problem? Any experience with this?

AdvancedHMI v398t, Windows 7 PRO, 2GIG RAM, plenty of swap file on barely used hard drive, brand new computer

Godra

• View Profile
Re: AdvancedHMI.exe Stops Working / Crash
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 09:35:10 PM »
Your issue sounds more like a computer problem than AHMI, since I don't recall anyone else here reporting similar issue (from experience I know that VS usually pops up the same error when rebuilding a project while form is open).

I will make a few suggestions and if you think they might help then go for it:

1) Run AHMI on a different computer if possible (this step should generally eliminate either a computer or AHMI as possible cause).
2) Copy Debug folder to a different location on a hard drive, C:\ should probably be the best choice (this might eliminate hard drive as possible cause). Running a chkdsk would definitely eliminate a hard drive as issue.
3) Download and run free version of MemTest86 to check your computer memory, http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm , couple of passes should do it
4) Cleaning any temp files and running anti-spyware programs might help as well (these steps you would do if this computer is being used to surf the internet).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:47:04 PM by Godra »

AabeckControls

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 10:14:02 PM »
Godra,

I'll move the folder to C:\ & change the shortcuts.
Will run CHKDSK to make sure.
No anti-spyware  - only Windows Defender, it's not connected to a network & the IT guy there has an issue with software not "certified" by him as safe for their network (that was an issue on an earlier project for this customer - made me uninstall anti-virus & anti-spyware software I installed without consulting with him [does it show I don't like or respect IT guys?]). And I did all Windows Updates when the computer was on my desk before installing in machine.
Checked into memtest86, but I forgot to mention "Windows 7 PRO X64", and it clearly states it's for x86 systems only.
             EDIT: Guess I should also specify: Visual Studio Community 2013, if that makes a difference.

Will try to find another computer & put on it to see if it runs all day

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:11:06 PM by AabeckControls »

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 11:44:14 PM »
Just to mention that MemTest86 doesn't run within the operating system, the OS is needed to create a bootable CD or USB and once created then you start a computer by booting into that CD or USB (check again the "Notes" section on their website).

There is also a memory testing option available at the Windows Boot Manager screen of Windows 7 (keep tapping space bar when you start the computer to be able to get to this boot screen). I would still choose MemTest86 over this option and do 2 passes to see if it reports any bad locations.

Memory test and/or chkdsk will take some time to complete (but once done there will be no need to run them again until some other error pops up).

The most effective option is still to find another computer and run AHMI on it.

AabeckControls

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 12:28:03 AM »
Just got back to this shop today & still having problems.

I did:
Move the Debug folder to C:\.
Run CHKDSK - no problems.
Run MemTest86 twice - no problems.
A VS Repair installation - just to rule out that.

Customer will try to come up with another computer & install VS on that.

Godra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 10:28:35 PM »
Check the Advanced Power Settings on the computer and try to set them as the attached picture shows (you can leave all the settings as they show and only change the one that is indicated). Also, disable the screensaver since turning the monitor off should do the trick.

If the AHMI project running on this computer is the one with modified DF1 driver, which was discussed in another topic, does the AHMI crash while being used by the operator or while not in use? In my opinion, that project is a little bit heavy-weight for DF1 driver.

DF1 communication, in general, might eventually get interrupted by some other events and have AHMI freeze or time-out and crash (you could try increasing the poll rate if this setup doesn't require frequent polls).

If this issue is AHMI related then modifying the project again might help (or make things worse :) ).

This would kind of conclude the suggestions that I have for you.

AabeckControls

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 12:00:07 AM »
Thanks,

The only power setting I have different is I turn off the hard drive after 20 minutes - no screen saver, never power down the monitor, no sleep or hibernation. I'll change the hard drive setting tomorrow.

As for the DF1 driver I downloaded AHMI v398t which included the updated driver & added the project to that. The only changes I made was force the PLC type to SLC5/04 & REM out the rest of the lines in that section, and in the DF1 driver on each page I changed the baud to 19200 from Auto to save time.

Unfortunately it's a SLC5/04 without Ethernet - which I would have preferred, but couldn't come up with a 5/05 or an Ethernet card.

AabeckControls

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 10:36:25 AM »
This morning I checked the line & the operator said it hasn't shut-down in the last few days - so the previous changes seem to have worked.

I did change the power setting for the hard drive shut-down - couldn't set it to "Never" so I set it to 999,999 minutes.

Keeping my fingers crossed.