Author Topic: HMI-PLC Compatability  (Read 6933 times)

Travspad

• View Profile
HMI-PLC Compatability
« on: November 17, 2013, 07:28:07 PM »
Hi Guys

I am both new to the forum and to hmi's in general. I am automating a brewing system and am very keen to use Advanced HMI. There are a few things I am unclear of.

Am I right in saying that currently there are only drivers for Modbus TCP which means both the PLC and HMI need to have an ethernet port?
Does this also mean that the HMI needs to support Modbus TCP?
This is probably a very dumb question but what is/are the operating systems of HMI's or are they software independant? Can you simply write the program and load the .exe onto the hmi?

Excuse my ignorance and thanks in advance, a lot of research has returned little clarity on these questions.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
Re: HMI-PLC Compatability
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 08:49:28 PM »
Am I right in saying that currently there are only drivers for Modbus TCP which means both the PLC and HMI need to have an ethernet port?
Does this also mean that the HMI needs to support Modbus TCP?
You are correct, the ModbusTCP driver only works over an Ethernet connection and the PLC must support the ModbusTCP protocol.

If you are using an Allen Bradley PLC or Beckhoff TwinCAT PLC, there are specific drivers for those.

This is probably a very dumb question but what is/are the operating systems of HMI's or are they software independant? Can you simply write the program and load the .exe onto the hmi?
AdvancedHMI requires a Windows XP/7/8 operating system. The proprietary HMI panels (e.g. PanelView, C-More, EZ-Panel, Red Lione G3, etc.) run their own operating system and require their proprietary software to program the HMI.

The is one of the selling points of AdvancedHMI. If your hardware running AdvancedHMI goes bad, then anything that runs Windows can be used to replace it. If one of the proprietary systems have a hardware failure, you are locked in to getting a replacement of the same piece of hardware.

Travspad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 03:16:27 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up for me Archie.

zaym84

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 01:06:50 PM »
I have a Automationdirect Click PLC (C0-02DR-D) http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Programmable_Controllers/CLICK_Series_PLCs_%28Stackable_Micro_Brick%29/PLC_Units/C0-02DR-D
I would like to use AdvanceHMI with this PLC, the plc from what I understand it uses Modbus RTU protocol for communication over a COM connection. I know how to get the programs I want onto the PLC but I am not sure how to get AdavanceHMI to talk to the PLC. if it can at all...
Just looking for a starting point...

Thanks.

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 01:14:29 PM »
I would like to use AdvanceHMI with this PLC, the plc from what I understand it uses Modbus RTU protocol for communication over a COM connection. I know how to get the programs I want onto the PLC but I am not sure how to get AdavanceHMI to talk to the PLC. if it can at all...
AdvancedHMI doesn't yet have a driver for modbusRTU, only one for modbusTCP. Possibly in the next month or 2 the ModbusRTU driver will be available.

augerd1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 07:56:17 PM »
I looked forward to the coming of this driver!
make it almost 2 months of waiting, do you have a release date?
thx

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 11:40:21 PM »
I looked forward to the coming of this driver!
make it almost 2 months of waiting, do you have a release date?
thx
I've been on a couple special projects, so there has not been any development or testing done on the ModbusRTU driver. It will be a few more weeks before I can get back to that driver.

Travspad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 02:43:54 AM »
Hi Archie

I have confirmed that the x-logic plc I was asking about in my other post Is in fact Modbus Rtu over Ethernet as apposed to modbus tcp. A concept I now understand, unfortunately after purchasing a plc I thought would work with your software, my bad. I'll put that down to school fees.

My question is, when the RTU driver is developed/released will there be an option for communication over Ethernet?

cheers,
Travis

dzydrmr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 01:18:32 AM »
Greetings,

I am also very anxious to see a ModbusRTU driver. Are there concrete plans for one, or should I consider other (more expensive) options?

Thanks in advance for your assitance!

Edward

augerd1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 08:35:22 PM »
Hello Archie ,
My brewing system will be ready in a month or 2 (all grain fully autmomatic HERMS system)
keep me post about the modbus rtu driver ...
i give you my work for a example ;)

Thx

Archie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AdvancedHMI
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 10:58:08 AM »
For those that have been waiting, AdvancedHMI now has a ModbusRTU driver